MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default car wash blues

ok so i finished up fixing my windows in my '68 (they used to leak and i put new rubbers all the way around the windows ...it was a painful job) so i decided to take it to exxon to get some gas and a car wash to test it out and see if it sealed all the way. turns out as im sitting through the car wash the driver side leaked real hard so i got soaked and then on top of that the rotating brushes broke my antenna ...while i was rolling out the dry blowers blew so hard that the antenna just kind of fell off ..needless to say i was sore and on top of that my friends make fun of me now "lets listen to the radio ..oh RIGHT you dont have an antenna." yeah i wanna punch them in the face ...so the point of this story is never run a '68 through a car wash
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Capri306

That's why I have NEVER taken any car I care about through an automatic car wash. It's just too much hassle and too much to go wrong, the dirty brushes, sponges, and water notwithstanding. That is kinda funny, though: getting plastered by the washing jets...

At least the Mustang didn't get it too bad. Each time I've taken my mum's chevy cars through the wash, something big has fallen off, so take heart. Once, I lost the fender flares on BOTH SIDES!!!!

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I was on a road trip in Oklahoma last year in my 97 GT Vert. It rained like hell all the way up the night before and the temp was in the 40's. The car was covered in red Okie mud. I drove through a brushless car wash. BIG MISTAKE!!! There was more water IN the car than on the outside. The car looked pretty good, but the whole interior, including the passengers was soaked! Never take a convertible through a high pressure wash.

The only way to wash a car properly is with a bucket and a hose. My first job when I was 15 was washing cars at a Texaco Station (I'm revealing my age, remember full service gas stations where they washed cars and did oil changes?) and I used to detail cars for extra money when I was first married. Even hand wash car washes can't please me, I have to come home and detail it. I try to wash my cars every week, and usually in between wipe it down with a quick detailer such as Zaino Gloss Enhancer or ClearKote Quik Shine.

I can have my car show ready in less than 2 hours because of this!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

it seemed like a good idea at the time ..i have a cd player anyways its not like i listen to the radio - its the new weight reduction plan ..have parts fall off during the wash cycle
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I went through a touchfree carwash once or twice... I never had any problems. (I have a 2000, no vert either.) Though, washing it by hand always does such a better job!

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

im so lazy i didnt even wanna walk out of the house much less gather a cloth and the water hose lol
Old 08-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Thats what friends are for.