MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2002, 06:46 PM   #1
85MustGT
Registered Member

Unhappy Shifters/synchros/trannys

I will be needing my transmission to be looked at. If I cruise all is fine otherwise second and third grind real bad. I had the clutch/plate/TO/Flywheel changed last year.
I still have the stock shifter and quadrant. What is it going to cost me to get the synchros fixed? Maybe the shifter fork is bad? What up with the aluminum transmission collar, can you buy a sleeve for it? The engine is stock except for the new Holley carb. It is an 85 GT, I changed the rear end for an 8.8 inch with 3:55s. With the old rear I did not have to shift so much! The most power the tranny will see is if I upgrade the heads and cam in the future.
8.8 3:55s
85MustGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:35 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Your tranny is shot. The syncros are worn out in 3rd gear and it needs to be rebuilt. Don't bother having it rebuilt, just get a new one.

D&D Performance sells a bolt in T-5z for $1095. I'd get a junkyard tranny before having it rebuilt even. The experiences I've seen suggest many rebuilders aren't worth the wrenches they crank.

An adjustable quadrent is about $100, and a steel input shaft bearing retainer is $50. It comes standard on the Z spec.

An aftermarket shifter will run you about $160, get the Steeda Tri Ax. It's cheaper than the Pro 5.0, and most people like it better.

The forks in your tranny are fine. They cannot bend as they are made of cast aluminum. They either break, or stay straight.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:10 PM   #3
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

Be careful with those boneyard tranny's. I shelled out $400 for one yesterday, and spent four hours laying in my gravel driveway putting it in, only to find out the syncros in second gear are bad. It pops out of gear about 75% of the time when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. It's good to go going up through the gears though. It also makes some real funny noises. Not "ha ha" funny either.

This is my opinion of T-5's; They are junk! This is the third one I've had in my car. OK, the first one had a bad input shaft bearing when I got the car, and I didn't help it when I filled it with 90 wt gear oil. However, the one I replaced yesterday was a T-5 World Class from Ford Racing that was brand new. I got a year out of it.

Save your money and go with the TKO. It'll cost you less in the long run.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
kevknotch88
Registered Member

Forget the t-5 and get a tremec. I run the 3550 and it is sweet. Go ahead and buy an aftermarket shifter.
1988 Coupe 135k BBK uneq, X-Pipe, mac 2.5, pullies, southsides, alum d/s, 3:08's, Tremec, TFS Stage 1 cam, 65 TB, Mass Air, Gt-40 U&L = 13.645 @ 104.61
kevknotch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #5
Chipdog
Registered Member

Gear Oil?
The guy at the tranny shop told me to use ATF when I got my syncros done two days ago. I am installing today. Stop me if I am wrong.
chip

And a 9 pound Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:07 AM   #6
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Yes fill that sucker with Dextron III he was referring to the fact he messed up his tranny by filling with gear oil.

To make your problem worse, the 85 trannys were weaker than the newer series starting in 90, though I think yours is still "world class" I realized this after having my trans rebuilt and I did not copy down the ID#'s this trans was a junkyard replacment and has speedo gears for 3.08 gears (all done by a P.O.) My original trans was rated at 300 ft lbs, the earler ones only 265 ft lbs. this one ????

I paid $575 last year to have my totally shot T-5 rebuilt and after 20K miles it's ok but the 2nd gear synchro is balky sometimes. Now I wish I got the T-5Z since I don't abuse the car. I have a friend that works at Forte's maybe it's TKO time. I heard the T-5 shifters don't fit properly on a Tremec trans?? I have a nice MAC shifter I would like to transfer over.

Any trans change may be a pain since I need the low 3.35 first with my 2.73 gears. Doesn't the T-5 Z have a 2.95 first?

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote