MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2002, 11:26 AM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default 1/4 Time Estimates

I have a 1982 Mustang GT and I havent had a chance to get it out to the track yet. What type of times do you guys think i would be able to run. I can usually hit the lights pretty good and also assuming that i get good traction what would be some estimates. Heres all my info on the car:
My 1982 GT
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

The only weak link I saw was the Holley pump. And one question was wether or not you had jet extentions in the secondary's in the carb. If the pump could keep up, and with good traction my guess would be high 12's to low 13's. So between 12.90 to 13.30. I based that on a vehicle weight of 3200 pounds.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

The h.p number in your users ride, is that rear wheel h.p? if so then you should be running well into the 12's only thing holding you back in the 3.08's you have. i'll guess 12.8-13.0 @ 105 m.p.h
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #4
Ron1
Registered Member

Eeeek..3.08's. i did see it was flywheel HP, that is roughly 275 rwhp...those 3.08's will really slow you down. I will revise my estimate to 13.80 to 14.20.

Ron
Old 03-28-2002, 11:19 PM   #5
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I though that holley blue pumps were one of the better electric pumps out there. Ive been told that i can run nitrous and i dont need a different pump or anything. And that is flywheel HP as the engine was just built. And nothing has been done to the carb its just the stock edelbrock. Before this engine i was running in the low 14s maybe even the odd stint into high 13 territory.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:46 PM   #6
Ron1
Registered Member

The Blue is a run of the mill pump, that I would not use for running nitrous. I know people that do, and I also know people that have replaced motors using a Blue. Me included. (Moroso does make an aftermarket spring for the Blue that iwill increase pressure and volume) If you run N2O I would highly recommend something like a Mallory 140. Use two regulators, one on the N2O side and one on the carb side. Set each for about 6 pounds. Use a fairly good size line from the pump, into a "Y" block, and then run one side to the carb, the other to the fuel solenoid thru the regulators. Also use good wire, and a fairly hefty gauge. Solder all connection, and use shrink tubing over the joint. The reason here is because if the wire and connection is not adequate, the pump will slow and may cause a lean out. Keep the pump as low as you can when you install it, because electric pumps are gravity fed. They push...do not pull. I have been running nitrous for about 6 years now, and have had my share of mishaps. One because I got a bit too greedy, and ran too much. Another due to the pump. The small block carburated Ford with a carb, always runs a bit lean on the number one hole, because of the runner lenght, so always look at the number one after each pass. Find a plug that has a short, wide ground strap. A long thin electrode acts like a diesel's glow plug and can cause detonation. If you can't find one, trim it, file it down a bit, and use that one. Just some precautions.

Ron
Old 03-29-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

What type of increases would i be looking at going to a set of 3.55's. I want to keep the car as a daily driver and keep a "little" gas mileage. With the 3.08s ive been able top get it moving pretty quick and i have loads of top end.