MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-1999, 10:13 PM   #1
George Klass
Registered Member

Post 2000 Rule Changes

The Shootout Class Rules have been defined by the FFW Rules Committee for next season. As you know, the FFW Rule Book has been polished and adjusted over the years, as experience dictates. With more than 100 events over the last nine years, FFW has a very high experience level when it comes to heads-up Ford racing. And since most other Ford drag race orginazations (WFC, NMRA, etc.) use FFW's Rule Book as the basis for their own classes, we have decided to issue our rule changes early so that other orginazations can adjust their rules as needed, if, of course, they elect to do so.

All "mid-season" rule changes that have been released during the 1999 season have been made part of the 2000 Rule Book, and since FFW members have been getting these up-dates in the monthly 5.0 TIRE TRACKS newsletters, they don't need to be repeated here.

The following is just a synopsis of the 2000 Rules changes. Get your 2000 Rule Book & FFW membership by sending $20 to FFW and you will get the new Rule Book as soon as it is printed. (See www.funford.com for address)

PRO 5.0
Minimum weight for auto trans equipped vehicles remains at 2800 lbs. Minimum weight for manual transmission equipped vehicles is 3000 lbs. (up 100 lbs. from 1999). Minimum weights in all classes include driver.

Burnouts across starting line are permitted (and have been in 1999).

Snorkel hood scoops may be 11" high (up from 9" in 1999).

Twin superchargers or turbos not permitted.

STREET OUTLAW
Minimum weight for nitrous vehicles is 2900 lbs. Supercharged or turbocharged vehicles, 3100 lbs. Supercharged or turbocharged with inter or aftercooler, 3200 lbs.

Maximum displacement still limited to 360 CI.

2-speed automatics (Powerglides) permitted.

STREET RENEGADE
Maximum of 8 injectors.

Approved computer list also includes the EEC Tuner, SVO EPEC, Speedbrain. All computers must be Mass Air Type. Speed Density type not permitted. Maximum size of Mass Air Meter is 80MM inside diameter and must be mounted in front of supercharger air inlet.

Lap Top computers must be fastened or strapped down.

Supercharger drive crank pulley is limited to 8" maximum outside diameter.

Maximum exhaust pipe diameter in S/O, S/R, and S/S is 3", regardless of one or two pipes.

STREET STOCK
Minimum weight for 310 CI or less is 2900 lbs. Minimum weight for 311 to 360 CI is 3200 lbs. Minimum weight for 361 to 400 CI is 3300 lbs. Minimum weight for 401+ CI is 3400 lbs. Maximum deck height is 9.5"

Manual transmission equipped vehicles add 100 lbs.

Yates, Brodix Neal or aftermarket canted valve heads prohibited. Cast iron Cleveland 2V or 4V heads (without port plate) permitted.

Any internal modifications to the cylinder block permitted (cam, rods, pistons, etc.)
Any cast intake manifold permitted. One carb or throttle body max (any size). Sheet metal intakes limited to EFI uppers only.

Electric water pumps permitted.

Interior can use pro stock type seats.

Rear spoiler, wheelie bars, etc. same as S/O.

TROPHY STOCK
Minimum weight is 3200 lbs. (down 100 lbs. from 1999).

MOD MOTOR
No electronics. Trans brak and 2-step permitted. Deep staging permitted. Door slammer cars only, no open wheel cars.

TOP TRUCK
Same as M/M.

All of this info will be installed in the new FFW website in more detail as soon as it's up and running.

If there are any questions, please direct them to george@funford.com.

[Email link fixed by Administrator ]

[This message has been edited by Dan McClain (edited 09-18-1999).]
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-1999, 12:18 AM   #2
SR89racer
Registered Member

it figures i asked george klass 2 months ago about the speed brain being used in street renegade and i was told it was not allowed now 2 months after i already invested in an extender instead of the speed brain now we are allowed to use it.
SR89racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-1999, 01:09 PM   #3
George Klass
Registered Member

Poor SR89racer. Nothing is ever OK for you, is it? We can always count on you to have a complaint. If you notice, the EPEC was also illegal for '99 and will be OK for 2000. The advanced technology of the "accepted" computers for 1999 mandated that we also except some previously "not accepted" units. Technology is moving forward and the cost of some of these units is getting lower, at least for what you get. Save up your $$ SR89. The Spring Break Shootout is still 6 months away.
Old 09-18-1999, 02:23 PM   #4
SR89racer
Registered Member

i know but i just had to vent a little cause nothing is goin my way i put a c-4 in my car and i cant get it to hook lowered the tier pressure still spins a little owell thats another story well im gonna try to sell the extender and probably buy the speed brain see ya in bradenton next year!
SR89racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-1999, 06:33 PM   #5
George Klass
Registered Member

That's the spirit SR89. It's important to remember that Stree Renegad is the primary "high tech" class, limited as it is to only EFI.
And given the rapid development in the high tech world, there is bound to be changes in the technology used to drive the EFI systems. All we are doing is trying to keep up with this technology. The PMS system that we allowed 2 years ago is much more sofisticated, along with Mike Wesley's new stuff. The units that we are permitting in 2000 should all have about the same level of performance (we hope). See you in FL in March.
Old 09-19-1999, 09:19 PM   #6
H82BBad
Registered Member

gee now if only they would raise the cubic inch limits in street outlaw! come one everyone who puts a windsor in there car always gos bigger than 360!i say let nitrous motors go to 400 ci and keep the ci limit on supercharged combos
hey george did you see our car in the oct 99 issue of MM&FF? we got a 9.07 3 pass average at J&P best et of 9.000@155
------------------
1985 Mustang GT,
best et 9.46
best MPH 148
85 GT
My Homepage

[This message has been edited by H82BBad (edited 09-19-1999).]
H82BBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-1999, 07:31 AM   #7
George Klass
Registered Member

Hey, B & N, It's always good to hear from you guys. But wait, how about big blocks? And while we are at it, how about W tires & 4-links? Just kidding. Or how about installing a 3.5" crank in your ride and going S/O racing? Regards.
Old 09-20-1999, 09:55 AM   #8
Mike Wesley
Registered Member

Angry

George,
Why no Speed Density in S/R?
I have an 88 LX and it came with Speed Density EEC-IV.
Mike Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-1999, 10:08 AM   #9
George Klass
Registered Member

I don't know, Mike. Every time you have an idea I get worried. Actually, we want the "restriction" to the air flow. And also, it will be more difficult to stick a DFI type unit inside of the stock EEC unit (we hope). We will be disconnecting the plug to the mass air unit and it better "run crappy" or quit. Just look at this as another challenge, Mike.
Old 09-20-1999, 02:02 PM   #10
Mike Wesley
Registered Member

Well... what if it doesn't run crappy or die when ya disconnect the MAF connector and the guy is running a genuine Ford MAF EEC?

As for people sticking DFI or somethign else in an EEC case...what if it's a genuine Ford SD EEC and can be proven to be one?
Old 09-21-1999, 03:19 PM   #11
blownlx
Registered Member

Angry

i dont understand how u can possible say u are allowing p/g in outlaw class i specifically called and talked to you about 2 weeks ago about that and u told me there was no way u was gonna allow them but much to my suprise u say they will be legal after my 3 speed is here i think that is bull thanks alot Mr. Klass
blownlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-1999, 06:18 PM   #12
George Klass
Registered Member

One thing I forgot regarding the STREET STOCK Class for next year. Front suspension will be the same as STREET OUTLAW, ie tubular A-Arms & replacement style coil/over struts. And one other thing, STREET STOCK isn't so stock anymore, so the new name for this class in 2000 will be STREET BANDIT (S/B). Whoopie.
Old 09-24-1999, 08:29 PM   #13
Mike Wesley
Registered Member

Question

George,
Per no SD for 2000....
What if a MAF car does not die or run crappy when the MAF is diconnected?
I don't like to tune my cars where they run crappy or die no matter what..so I tune that part of the EEC.
My 88 LX is a Speed Density car...I have to buy all the MAF junk?
Since I run a NOVI 2000 with a 3" restrictor, and you want to use a MAF as a restriction (80mm max)..why can't I run my Speed Density EEC (U can open it up and look at it if ya want..I don't put cases on things anyway) and use the "renegade sleeve" as the 3" restriction?

Oh..ditch the password stuff on here...PITA trying remeber what it is everytime.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:13 PM   #14
George Klass
Registered Member

No Mike, your car will have to conform to the new rules. I have been told (by so called experts?) that a mass air equipped car will run a little ragged and may die if you disconnect the mass air plug while it is running, and that is a good way to insure that the mass air sensor is functional. This info was supplied by two mass air sensor manufacturers. When I disconnected the mass air on a '95 Mustang at our shop, it sure ran different.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:34 PM   #15
Mike Wesley
Registered Member

Ok..no problem.
But what are you going to do when U disconnect mine and it runs the same?
When the EEC senses a MAF failure...it does certain things....I can tune those things...you know me

Little story for ya...
Back when I ran my 87 Kenne Bell car...a potential KB blower customer came over to see my car after it was in 5.0 Magazine. We took the thing out for a ride. I let him drive.
Car was running 11.21 @ 122 (bone stock longblock) at the time and he though it was an animal. He';s burnign the tires in 4th gear having fun with it. Gives me the keys.
I start to drive it and I notice it's runnign good, but soemthings a bit different. Get back to my place...there is my entire inlet system (Pro-M, filter, tubing..) sitting in my driveway. I had forgotten I had taken it off to clean the filter. What I had done was go into the EEC and tune the MAF failure stuff so it ran just fine.
Going to do that to my 88..I do it to all my cars/trucks.
Old 09-24-1999, 11:05 PM   #16
Chris Wesley
Registered Member

If you are allowing the "SpeedBrain", why can't I run a MoTec if I'ts a direct plug in to the EEC harness? The "SpeedBrain" is not an EEC or using any part of the factory ECM. So why limit it to the "SpeedBrain"? If it plugs in the harness it should fly. Even If I built it in my garage. Just becuase you don't know what the ECM can do, doesn't meant you should be able to ban it. You allowed "NON EEC" control's in 99, why not open it up for 2000? If not, ban them all.
Chris Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-1999, 09:14 AM   #17
George Klass
Registered Member

I am not familiar with the MoTech unit. Send me some info. As new products become available, and if they fit the criteria, they will be permitted. It's best if the manufacturers contact us directly. By the way, does adding new products to the list constitute a "rule change"?
Old 09-25-1999, 10:35 AM   #18
Matt86GT
Registered Member

George,

ABSOLUTELY! Of course adding new products is a rule change. If racers had been aware of this 4" single exhaust exemption in Cordova, they may have opted for it a long time ago. Though I don't fully understand it, certainly, there was some reasoning behind Bob's exhaust change so late in the season.

I think this case was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of us. We don't have any hard feelings towards Bob. The hard feelings are that when we come up to you and ask about a mod that is blatantly against the rule, and you tell us it is all of a sudden allowed, we feel that we have been left out in the cold.

So now, in your rule changes for 2000, you say it must be 3" tubing regardless of single or duel. So in essesnce, Bob's exhaust was legal for one race?!?! Geez, that seems NUTS! It certainly seems unfair to the other S/R participants at Cordova.

Heck, I almost feel sorry for Bob too. That seems to have been a big waste of time, effort, and money.

Adding the Speed Brain to the approved computers list confuses me as well. Why not keep it simple and straightforward? i.e. "A Ford EEC must be the primary processor with piggy back systems allowed....stand alone's not permitted." That seems simple enough.

I completely understand that the aftermarket is evolving and that the S/R class is going to experience growing pains, no matter what. For these reasons, perhaps instead of a list of approved components, I think it makes more sense to have a list of approved FUNCTIONS.

That way the racer/consumer knows what he can build and then does not have bitter feelings when a specific part that he did not buy (because it wasn't legal) is now approved.

Just trying to help.

Matt Eggleton, S/R 14, S/O 124
Matt86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-1999, 09:40 PM   #19
Saleen7
Registered Member

well as we all know EFI is high tech and will change with the times , So the parts list should also change ....As for the speedbrain , it is no different than the PMS , the PMS can and cannot be considered stand alone ....a good set of changes have been anounced for 2000 and all I see is whinning and griping ...you all have the ability to buy and sell so do it !!! step up like others have. Take advantage of the changes that are made ,instead you all want to stay in the stone age , this is a future class and has the chance to get alot of attention , as for buying a part that was legal and now a better option is available , sell it get over it ..I for one have about 2000 in parts I could of done better so what will I do ...sell them !!! and get better.
All Chris has done on these boards is prove how classy he can be !!! what a mouth man !!!! Shut and race !!!
Saleen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-1999, 10:03 PM   #20
Adam Dugger
Registered Member

Hey Saleen7 (i hate not knowing names of who I am responding to)

Whining and griping you say?
Isnt that what this BBS is about? Arent there any rights that come along with FFW membership? Like responding to changes and voicing opinions. Jeez man.. I think its better to listen to what the racers have to say than bend over the table and take whatever they give you.
Im trying not to pick sides here.. but its not as easy as selling one thing and buying another. A racing combination is more than just parts thrown together.. you should know that if you are trying to be vompetitive in any class. So selling one thing and stepping up or whatever you wrote is BS. A simple change in a racercar combination requries more tuning, more planning and more money. Its not as easy as pulling a part off and replacing it with another. We dont have huge budgets... or at least I know I dont.

As for Chris's class... I dont think it shows how classy he is.. it shows how ballsy (sp) he is by saying whats on his mind.

Thats fine by me.

Regards,
Adam
Adam Dugger is offline   Reply With Quote