MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-19-1999, 08:45 PM   #1
Tim Miller
Registered Member

Question 2000 Street Stock - the $15,000 question

I am familiar with the message board and all of the the complaints about legal manifolds and illegal trannys for particular classes and rule changes from year to year. Heads Up events are not immune to such challenges and the competitors learn to work with the rule makers. As open-minded and excited as I am about heads-up racing, someone please explain to me the logic behind the 9.5 deck height, 400+ CID, essentially unlimited short blocks allowed in 2000 Street Stock. Is this some sort of Pro 5.0 trickle down effect? Until now, S/Stk was the perfect middle class featuring realistic, down-to earth naturally aspirated cars that were still very quick. In 2000, there is going to be 12 sec Trophy Stocks followed by mid-9 second "Street Stocks" with $15,000 engines. Was it because of the low turn-out at the events? What about all the guys set up to go 10.20 next year and give Roth and Barton a run for all the cash thats practically sitting there for anyone who shows up? Allowing or disallowing a manifold is a "rule change". 2000 "Street Stock" is a whole new class! Why not just add a class for the people who have the dough to go 9's with a naturally aspirated-Jesel-Oliver-picaloy-Motec-Gforce-engine and leave Street Stock essentially alone?
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-1999, 10:10 PM   #2
john edwards
Registered Member

Question

My feelings exactly. Where were all these street stock cars when we needed them. Now look what happened. I've helped everyone who asked about running street stock but very few did. Now that it no longer exists everyone says they were building a car for the class. Things may have been diffrent if the rules were kept the same for a few years to give people time to build and tune their cars to be competitive. I loved this class and am sorry it's gone but life goes on. BTW I own the purple coupe Cory Roth drove this season. Good Luck John Edwards
john edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-1999, 11:14 PM   #3
87horsepower
Registered Member

Street Stock is now gone?
87horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-1999, 11:20 PM   #4
George Klass
Registered Member

The reason for the major rules changes to what used to be called Street Stock is exactly what both Tim & John hinted at. Namely, not enough participation. Yes, it was a great class but not enough cars were entered. It's not like FFW tried it for a year and walked away. This class has been around. It was either redo the class with much less restrictions or eliminate the class entirely. I know that many people resist change of any kind, but give the new class a chance. I think that this class will take off and offer really exciting racing. Maybe we can get a half a dozen cars fighting for the championship rather than just a couple. Every racing orginazation looks at attendance in their classes. When they see a class with limited participation, they are forced to make changes or eliminate the class entirely. For instance, look at what NHRA is doing with the alcohol supercharged dragsters vs. the nitro unsupercharged cars. Over the years, drag racing classes come and go. There are no more AA/Gas Superchaged Willys and yet these cars were once very popular. If you like the rules for a particular class, support it like Cory, Steve, John and a few others did. Unfortunately there were too few.
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-1999, 07:09 PM   #5
CouPe88
Registered Member

Red face

That leaves the guys that have aluminum heads expensive choices......either run a power adder.....and get the car certified for 9s.....or buy a whole new lower end and get the car ready for 9s....or run at the tail end of the class...

Or run brackets.....I'll never do that again.....A trans brake eliminated me in quick ford AFTER i told the official the car was running electronics (have his 5k rpm launch on tape)...

I wonder just how many people really want street stock ....and how many people want to upgrade it to the next level.....

Lets hear it Street Stockers!!!!

CouPe88 (John Church) www.mustangfun.com

BTW N/A IS the ONLY way!!!!
CouPe88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: