MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
andy669
Registered Member

Default 2003 season!

Well my plans are shaping up for the 2003 season. Now that the schedule has been released I can make plans and set goals. My engine is alot closer to completion than my car is, so to save time my good friend Craig has offered to loan me his car thats pictured here to start the 2003 season off with. He built this car last year to Real Street specs, but the rules changes for next year has convinced him he would be better off converting the car he raced in 2000 Super Street Outlaw, to Real Street trim.

My engine and trans should feel right at home in his '91. I let him use my shortblock last year while his was getting finished. He was able to get about 30 passes and about 40 chassis dyno pulls on it. During that time we learned alot about the car. He also used my trans at the Bowling Green event. He broke his 3550 one week before BG. Luckily for him I had a deal worked out with Wade already to swap my TKO for his proshifted model. Just a phone call to Wade is all it took to expedite the process so we could make it to BG. Thanks again for that, Wade.

My engine should be on the dyno around the first of February. It will not leave until it is making enough power to be competitive. With the help of NHRA Stock Eliminator, and Super Stock, racer/engine builder Jeff Stealy, this shouldnt be a problem.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 03:31 AM   #2
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Best of luck to you Andy! Craig is a really nice guy, I met him through Randy Vance a few years back. He was pitted next to me and my dad at a Cordova TnT session this summer and we spoke briefly... is he going to let you borrow his trailer as well?

I'd kill for a rig like that!!

Later,
-Ryan

Hope to meet you next year, maybe at Cordova. Missed you by a few minutes this year at FFW.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
andy669
Registered Member

So you know Randy, eh? I hope your not gonna tell me you are friends with him.

I dont need to borrow his trailer, this is mine. I do need to get a different tow vehicle to pull this thing cross-country though. My 1/2 ton Chevy isnt too fond of it.

Andy

Old 12-15-2002, 01:55 PM   #4
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I'm aware of the issues between Craig and Randy... not gonna take sides, as I know nothing other than what Craig told me at the TnT session I mentioned. Randy's never done me wrong, and I was suprized to hear about him breaking Craig's motor and not taking responsibility for it, or whatever it was the happened. I'm thinking that since you're such good friends with Craig, you know the specific details.

I'll put it this way... I hadn't spoken with Randy since 1998 until I ran into him on a separate occasion at Cordova this year. The reason I heard about the motor deal, is because I mentioned to Craig that he looked familiar to me, that I had seen him with Randy in the past... and then he offered a and began to tell me about what had occured.

Nice trailer bro... I'm planning to take out a loan this year and get an enclosed trailer as well. Until then, my open unit will have to do, *sigh*

-Ryan

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 12-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

Ryan, I think that situation has more to do with Mr. Vance just being a douchebag, in general. There are several people who feel this way about him.

Thanks for the kind words. Have you looked at any trailers yet? You should check out Bruce Litton. Mine is a Silverstar which is made exclusively for them. It is a real solid trailer. Are you looking to get a tag, or a gooseneck?

Andy

Old 12-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #6
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Lookin' to get a tag, I guess... that's what you call 'em eh? Thanks for the link, btw. I'll look into what they have to offer.

What year is your Chevy? I had issues with the '96 1500 Z71's tranny getting hot and shifting hard on long trips... got rid of it and went with a used '00 1500 Z71 w/ the trailering package and haven't encounted any issues with both my car and 700twin Polaris on the rig we have now. Not sure how the trans. will hold up with a heavier trailer. The thought has crossed my mind as far as getting a new 2500HD, but I would like to get an enclosed trailer first.

Later,
-Ryan

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 12-17-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
kid vishus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
Ryan, I think that situation has more to do with Mr. Vance just being a douchebag, in general. There are several people who feel this way about him.

It's good to hear Mr. Vance hasnt changed. I have known him for a long time, and lets just say, he is really full of it.

Now for a question. I have a 69 fastback with a 351C I bracket race. It runs mid 6.30's in the heat of the summer and has gone a best of 6.18 in the fall. Is there any class I can run in? I would like to go to one or two of these races but am a very poor spectator.

As for trailers, my father bought a US Cargo several years ago to pull my car in (it has the Phantom package), and it is a very nice trailer for the money. I have since been relagated back to an open trailer, but the US Cargo he bought still looks very nice and is holding up quite well after 6 years of use. Also, he pulls it with a 2000 F350 dually diesel, and it is an awesome truck.
kid vishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:10 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kid vishus
Now for a question. I have a 69 fastback with a 351C I bracket race. It runs mid 6.30's in the heat of the summer and has gone a best of 6.18 in the fall. Is there any class I can run in? I would like to go to one or two of these races but am a very poor spectator.
Unfortunately your car doesnt fit in to any of the heads up classes. Hot Street is the only class that allows Mustangs older than '79, but your canted valve heads would keep you out of that class. That class is reserved for 400 cubic inch 10,000rpm windsors with .900 lift solid roller cams. Even if your heads were legal, it would be tough to compete.

You could come out and run Open Comp or True Street though. True Street is a new class for the NMRA next year, and Open Comp always has the highest car counts!

Andy

Old 12-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #9
kid vishus
Registered Member

I was afraid of that. I have a couple of buddies that want me to drag my car to a couple of them races. I guess I could run the open comp class since there is nothing about my car that is "street" anymore.

Thanks for answering.
kid vishus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: