MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2001, 10:45 PM   #1
NOSstang89
Registered Member

Question How do I choose between Detroit Locker and Powertrax?

Both manufacturers make several different models of differentials, and I'm having trouble choosing which to go with. My car is becoming less of a street car every time I put something else on it, but I still drive it on the street regularly. My main concern is building a rear end that won't break from 5000+ rpm launches on slicks. I plan to get at least 31 spline forged axles (I would really prefer 33 or 35), C clip eliminators, and a diff. cover girdle. How do these differentials behave on the street and at the track? Thanks!!

------------------
'92LX hatch, 302 w/TFS Street Heats, Performer RPM intake, Crane cam .499/.510, Crower 1.6rr, 70mmTB/EGR, Pro-M 75mm Maf, SVO 30lb injectors, BBK underdrive pullies, 255lph intank pump, BBK short headers, MAC 2.5" off road X pipe, FMS King Cobra clutch, 3.73 gears, SVO upper arms, HPM Megabite Jr. lowers, Moser forged axles, lakewood driveshaft loop, air pump removed

279.1 rwhp / 303.5 rwtq N/A
395.7 rwhp / 496.5 rwtq NOS
NOSstang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:57 AM   #2
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

The Detroit locker makes a ratcheting sound that is quite loud when cornering. The powertrax will be much nicer on the street but probably won't be as durable with launches on slicks, I've driven a car with a Detroit locker and I cringed when cornering, never driven a powertrax equipped car though. I personally love my Torsen but it's more for handling than dragstrip performance although it does work.

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B&M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 09:05 AM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i had a detroit in my truck and i drove a 5.0 with a powertrax..the powertrax was slighly quieter...i was going to get a powertrax for my car that like urs was turning into a 1/4 car and less for the turns..
i talked to powertrax and they said that thier diffs are good for 1,000hp...they said the only reason once and a while people kill thier powertrax diff is beacsue the rear housing flexes..
the install on the powertrax is cake though..just rplaces the spider gears..although detroit does make an EZ locker that does the same now..i would imagine that both of these diffs would be about the same

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 02:45 PM   #4
K-9
Registered Member

I know a thing or two about lovkers from my 4x4 experience...

Any full locker is gonna be terrible on the street if your car is equipped with a manual tranny. Auto equipped cars behave much better with lockers. It has to do with how the manual tranny's jerk the drivetrain. Autos are smoother. Another drawback is that they suck in the rain & snow. You have to know how to be a careful driver.

If you're looking for a locker that's easy to install, check out the Detroit EZ Locker or the LockRight. Both are almost 100% exactly the same. I'm not sure how durable these two lockers are when it comes to HP, because they use the existing carrier. They actually replace the internals and spider gears of your rear end. Check with the manufacturer on durability vs HP.

There are other lockers out there that are a lot stronger...such as the Detroit Locker. It replaces the carrier and internals with a super stout unit. However, they are downright nasty to drive compared to the EZ or LR.

Limited slips are great units for street cruising. They are more forgiving, but do not lock you 100%. However, they do replace the whole carrier and internals for better strength over stock.

So many options!

K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 11:20 PM   #5
NOSstang89
Registered Member

TOOO MANY CHOICES!! Ok, well I've heard that the EZ locker and the Powertrax equivalent aren't very strong, so I would be getting a full size unit, whichever that may be.

Another question, are 31 splines enough? Will 33 or 35 be better for me, or can I get by with 31?

red82GT - was the Detroit Locker car DIFFICULT to drive?? I'm getting all the different descriptions and I'm trying to piece them together... I'm not really worrieda about noise, but I don't want to go spinning off the road if I have to drive in the rain for some reason (there's no snow down here in Tejas thank God!!).

LX XLR8R - How did the Detroit and the Powertrax do on the street? I'm not really worried about noise, the car is loud enough.. hehehe. How was tire wear compared to a regular diff? I can get the axle tubes welded to the carrier housing and a diff cover to at least help eliminate flexing. Thanks for the info about the Powertrax being durable for 1000hp. That's a few days... weeks... months... years.. away from my car! My car is definitely a 1/4th car, not an autocrosser..

K-9 - My tranny is a T-5 (for now at least ) and will be some kind of manual until I take it off the street (~4-5 years). I am more careful than the average driver (most of the time), but then again, I am a 20 year old with a Mustang, so I can only be so mature with this thing. Ease of install isn't an issue, so I'd go with a stronger unit even if it is harder to put in.

Anyone know anything about the ARB Air Locker?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

------------------
'92LX hatch, 302 w/TFS Street Heats, Performer RPM intake, Crane cam .499/.510, Crower 1.6rr, 70mmTB/EGR, Pro-M 75mm Maf, SVO 30lb injectors, BBK underdrive pullies, 255lph intank pump, BBK short headers, MAC 2.5" off road X pipe, FMS King Cobra clutch, 3.73 gears, SVO upper arms, HPM Megabite Jr. lowers, Moser forged axles, lakewood driveshaft loop, air pump removed

279.1 rwhp / 303.5 rwtq N/A
395.7 rwhp / 496.5 rwtq NOS
NOSstang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 08:54 AM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

tire wear i couldnt tell ya..i never went fast with my monster truck cuz it had 39" tires on it..and i only drove the mustang arond the block..the earlier post is correct about a automatic being alot smoother with a locker but thats if you drive it all the time on the street..
ARB locker is something i looked into b4 and still conseder an option cept its so much $$..i thnk the total kit is around $650..anyways thay are a open diff untill you hit a button and the air compresser relases air into the unit and lockers the 2 axels 2gether essestially making it a full race spool ..last time i talked to ARB they had just came out with a new much stronger model for the 8.8 than the earlier model that they came out with..i know thier is one other company that makes a simulaer air locker for a 8.8..i forget the name

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 02:13 PM   #7
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

It wasn't difficult to drive but there isn't a chance I'd goose it in a corner like I do with the Torsen diff. I think it'd take some getting used to though, perhaps a loud stereo on the street would help.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 03:51 PM   #8
K-9
Registered Member

LX XLR8R, I think the other locker you're referring to is the OX LOCKER.

------------------
K-9
No 'Stang just yet, but looking.
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote