MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #1
Project AOD
Registered Member

Red face any body race at .

anybody race at quaker city,salem,ohio?

------------------
Project AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 03:56 PM   #2
cometbfx
Registered Member

Haven't raced there, but been there. Glad to hear they are now gonna be IHRA. Means we will no doubt be there for points meets.
Closest we run to Quaker is Thompson. You ever run there?
Next closest to you we've been at is Drag City (too bad they closed)...nice track, but the curfews were terrible...couldn't fire up till after 6:00pm, then not much time to get set up.
You ever make it up to Erie (Lowville)? That was our "home" track, but now with Quaker and Lancaster (thank GOD) switching to IHRA, I think we're gonna substitute Lancaster for Thompson. (shorter haul). Besides, the Carl McQuillan 10.90 monthly shootout will now be at Cayuga, Ont(2) and Empire at Leicester(4) NY. So now there will be lotsa shows in our area.
Plus with the new (heard but not seen) 10.90 monthly show at Norwalk that Bader mentioned, we'll be like kids in a candy shop.....so many shows to pick from. Come on up north some weekend, we'll show ya good ole time!

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Hell, I'll drink to that!
cometbfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 08:21 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Are you sure you're thinking of QC? Dragway 42 is in West Salem off highway...er..42.

I've never been over to QC, but I've heard lots about it. Most of the guys from the east side of Cleveland use QC where us westsiders go to Norwalk and Dragway 42 (West Salem). Dragway 42 has switched to IHRA as well. Bill Bader has made it an IHRA goal to convert these smaller, independent tracks, and fund improvements to them in hopes of building IHRA back to the premier drag racing sanctioning body.

Bill Bader owns Norwalk and bought the controlling rights to IHRA about 3 years ago. He moved the IHRA HQ to Norwalk too.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 01:13 AM   #4
cometbfx
Registered Member

Jeff,
you're right, it is confusing!
"42" is at West Salem....and
Quaker is at Salem. (south of Youngstown)
Plus they are NOT close to one another such as, say, Lansing and East Lansing etc, etc.
Quaker is the track with the "uphill" burnout box!
We used to run "42" back in the early '60s for Chevrolet Motor Division. Got some photos, my favorite being the first '63 "Z11" Impala in our area run by Jackshaw Chevrolet, Inc. (actually this was a 6cyl car with the mystery motor!) But I haven't been there since about 1986.
You're right about the great job Bader has been doing. It's almost like a miracle, the revival that IHRA is going through.
Bill
p.s. also a lot of Cleveland guys at Thompson. WMMS used to be a sponser at the track.

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-18-2001, 07:42 AM   #5
Jeff Chambers

I've only been in the Cleveland area for about twelve years and only been racing about six of those. Were you ever at Dragway 42 when they had the side-by-side drag strips? I head it used to be pretty cool to watch four cars go down at the same time.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team
Old 01-19-2001, 04:03 PM   #6
cometbfx
Registered Member

Sorry, this is the first I ever heard about quad lanes, anywhere. Must have been an experiment that didn't work. Wouldn't be a bad idea though, for those tracks with really high car counts, where if you go rounds, you don't leave till about 0100am.
But can you just imagine the capital costs!!

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-19-2001, 06:05 PM   #7
Jeff Chambers

Actually, to hear folks talk it worked really well. They ran street-tired cars on one track and slick-tired cars on the other. They'd run them simultaneously from what I hear. Unfortunately, Dragway 42 fell on tough times through the seventies, eighties and nineties and somewhere along the way the second strip was let grow over. They're on their way back though since switching to IHRA they are making improvements including reopening the pits on the right (south?) side of the track.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team