Thread: Ballast
View Single Post
Old 08-17-1999, 02:46 PM   #3
Saleen7
Registered Member

Matt not to say anything to upset you , but I disagree alittle bit ..... let me explain .
first off you and others have chose to run S/R and at that time the weight was 3400 lbs.
So basically you agreed to run that. The weight will probally never change. You of anyone have never heard me complain about weight, basically because I chose a class and made a car around that class. Second of all like I have stated before , the FFW tech is for the compliance of the Class you run , and the NHRA or track tech is for the sanctioning bodies. I do not think the Track will risk loosing its sanctioning body support to please anyone even FFW. There rules are for safety and not the class.
and as to the ballast rules ....they are there for one reason and that is your safety and spectator safety ...they will not change ....to you a battery , Nitrous bottle and stereo equip is ballast ....but to the NHRA it is not ..... also you got to look at the pounds per square inch of the ballast and weight you have ....I know this because aas you know I balance Airplane loads all day long.
You just cannot put a large amount of weight in a small area .
lets just put it this way ...if I get a box the size of a battery box that weighs 140 lbs ...it will stay where it is because it is too heavy. and the bin of an aircraft is alot stronger than the trunk of your stang.
I too will have the weight problem and it will be solved with a crossmember and several attaching points. Just remember that there are several other options in that car to mount ballast that is removed easy.
I am not posting this to tick you off on this situation , I know how you get when you are mad .

Don S/R 887
Saleen7 is offline   Reply With Quote