Thread: Ballast
View Single Post
Old 08-17-1999, 10:02 PM   #10
George Klass
Registered Member

Actually, I think that all of you guys are correct. I wasn't aware of the problem with Matt's S/R car until 2 days ago. He never mentioned it to me at Bristol and I left there for a 1 week vacation. Matt, sorry if I misinterpreted your weight. That's what John Smith guessed at the time. And you are correct about the apperent conflict between the NHRA and FFW Rule Books regarding ballast. The NHRA book assumes that everyone has a "frame" and "crossmsmbers". Obviously, the Mustangs don't fall into that exact catagory. We have tried to be more flexable with our "interpretation" of the way ballast is secured in the Mustangs. Usually, removable ballast consists of 50 to 100 lbs. When it becomes more than that, and it is all concentrated in a relativly small area, it can set up red flags.
I honestly don't recall checking your car in the past. I am not doubting you, however.
There was one other thing that could have mitigated the problem, also. John Smith is based out of Atlanta (NHRA Division 2). As it happens, the NHRA Division 2 Tech Director was looking over John's shoulder during your tech. Maybe John would not have had a problem with your ballast situation at another time and another place.
Who knows?
We intend to rewrite the FFW "ballast" rules for next year in an attempt to make them clearer. In the mean time, the NHRA rules regarding ballast will take precedent over the FFW description.

George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote