MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Racer's Club House (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   bulding a motor need help with parts (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=47516)

nitrousboy 12-11-2005 12:38 AM

bulding a motor need help with parts

i am a long time drag racer but mostly just bracket racing. i just got my 65 mustang going and it whent 16.38 at 83mph. it still has the two barale card nothing exept headers. i just tore my spare motor down to build it for the track. i bought a couple small things like a nitrous system two bottle,three plates,four soleniods,brackets and lines for two hundred dollers. the big challeng is the car must be able to drive on the street. the car will probibly have a forty five hundred stall coverter. it is going to be bored out forty thousents over and have stock heads with a six fifty carb and a victor jr manifold. has any one ever put together a set up like this befor please post back. the reason i picked nitrousboy for a nickname is becuse of how much nitrous i bought for my car . it equals up to bee a three hundred sevendy five shot when all three stages come on.

Jeff Chambers 12-11-2005 09:45 AM

Re: bulding a motor need help with parts

Better plan on spending big $$ on the bottom end if you're gonna throw a 350 shot at it. You'll need an R or Dart block, forged crank, real good rods and forged pistons. Personally, that much nitrous with a stock head is a waste of good giggle gas. I'd really recommend setting your sights a little more reasonable. If you're going with a mostly stock bottom end, keep the NOS at a 100-shot or 150 at the most.

smokedchevy 12-15-2005 10:22 PM

The tranny will burn up with a 4500 converter on the street. I've done it!!

nitrousboy 12-19-2005 04:35 PM

i am not trying to go out and set any records at all. but i do whant to smash the crap out of the ricers around town. i agree after looking more in to it i am defenitly need a good set of heads. i am know going to only hit it with everthing at the last race of the year in case it gose bang. the stall will still stay the same just becuse at the track it will work well. plus did that tranny have a huge tranny cooler on it. the car will only drive on the road very rarly. i would like to thank every one for there help and info. i am know looking for a set of heads. i dont whant to buy a dart block because it cost to much and i whant to prove a cuple of people wrong.

smokedchevy 12-19-2005 06:15 PM

Sweet! The tranny i burned up was a C-4 with a 9" converter. It did have a small cooler on it. Get a trans temp gauge!! I didn't have one.

nitrousboy 12-19-2005 08:37 PM

what do you think is sweet. and it will have a big tranny temp gauge for sure