MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2002, 03:04 AM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Question Speed compensator vs. Speedo gear?

was up guys, i just had a real quick question regarding the difference between a speed compensator and a speedo gear. i just installed 3.73's in my ride and i was told two different things. ford told me to get a speed compensator that connects to the speed sensor of my vehicle and every body on this web site told me to change my speedo gear? for one i dont know where the speedo gear is and i dont know if it is a job that i can handle my self. the speed compensator runs about 149 dollars and i dont know how much the speedo gear is going to run and how difficult it is going to be to install. i love doing my own work on my car but only the things that i know i wont screw up. if any body could clear up this mystery for me i would greatly apreciate it. thanks

danny
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:46 AM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

I am not positive but I think that a "speed compensator" is for electronic spedos on the newer mustangs. Assuming that you have a 302 and not a MOD motor you will need a spedo gear. It is simple to install, the worst part is jacking up the car.

hope this helps,
Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Interactive Technologies advertises in MM&FF and they have a electrical Speedo gear that allows you to run any size tire and rear gear combo with out ever changing any of the gears in the tranny or speedo cable, I think it runs $20.

Wade is right though, it is very east to replace the gear that is on the end of the cable, 1 bolt and 1 clip.

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:40 AM   #4
mustangbob19
Registered Member

Simple job. First time it took me about 10 minutes. The speedo gear is on the left side of the tranny. You'll figure it out when you get under the car. Good Luck.

Robert
mustangbob19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:01 AM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

There are mechanical and electronic speedo compensators. The electronic are for the 99-up stangs. The mechanical are for the 96-98 but I dont' see why they couldn't be used on the fox's either. They use a speedo gear, too, on those T45s. Should hook up the same way on a fox as on a sn-95 96-98. Plus the mechanical ones are about $89. Not any $149 (that's more of an electrical one). Dallas Mustang sell the mechanical ones. You might try there. As for the speedo gear it's an easy install. The speedo cable runs into the driver's side of the transmission. You can undo it from the tranny and pull it out. The speedo gear is on the end of it. Just switch the little plastic gear out and put the cable back in and tighten 'er up. I'm not sure what the internal speedo gear is on a T5 but with the 3.73s you'll need probably a 21 tooth speedo gear. Maybe a 23. I"m not sure. I know about the T45s but not the T5s. You can get a Chilton's or a Haynes manual for your stang which will help show you how to do it.