MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-04-2001, 08:16 PM   #1
apowers1
Registered Member

Post Catalytic Converter

Hi i have a ford ranger 3.0 L V6 2000. I currently have a magnaflow dual exhaust system in it. I want to remove my catalytic converter but i have a oxygen sensor after the cat. Will taking out the cat make my check engine light turn on b/c of the o2 sensor after the cat? what damage can the removal of the cat cause to the o2 sensor? any other suggestions please say and also any other suggestions on how to make my truck louder too thank you please respond
apowers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 07:24 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Sounds similar to the exhaust for the newer Mustangs. I think they make a 'MIL eliminator' that essentially plugs into the harness for the O2 sensor and fools it into thinking that its still there. Look at some of the mod motor vendors (Steeda, Saleen, Paul's High Performance, etc.) and see if they think it'd work with the Ranger. If not, you could consider welding an O2 bung to your off-road pipe for the sensor and see if its happy even without the converter.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.611 Seconds / 116.7 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
9SecLX
Registered Member

Not sure on that one, my Mustang runs fine with the o2's hooked right to the harness but the o2's were before the cats so it didn't change anything when I removed them. Sounds like Jeff's post would be the way to go for yours. I think the readings would be different without the cats on yours and that might freak out the computer. But you are supposed to reset the computer when you change exhaust setups anyway so you might try it and see what it does before you spend the cash.

------------------
88 LX Notch - 302(out of 86 crown Vic- converted to HO), stock cam, ported stock heads, 76mm C&L mass air, 70mm Mac tb and EGR, Victor 5.0 intake(yeah I know it's killing my low end torque ), Walbro 190lph intank fuel pump, 24lb injectors, Flow Tech long tube headers, offroad H-pipe, Flowmasters, Compucar NOS kit with 125 shot pill, Aod with Art Car shift kit, FMS 430 gears, 28x10.5 M/T Sportman Pro rears(soon to be on 9" Weld Draglites), Kumho fronts on 4" Weld Draglites.
<A HREF="http:/

[This message has been edited by 9SecLX (edited 06-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 9SecLX (edited 06-16-2001).]
9SecLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: