MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2001, 08:03 PM   #1
Project AOD
Registered Member

Question cheeze ,where is everybody???

I really thought this post would take off.
or are you all "street pretenders"?

------------------
Project AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 12:54 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

For whatever reason most of the content which could be in the forum usually ends up in the either the lounge or street racers corner.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Alot of the organized drag racing discussion is over on the MW's sister site www.funford.com. Its mostly the folks that run the Fun Ford series but that tends to be where they hang out. I'm up for drag racing discussions here though...that's why I'm here.

What's on your mind?

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 12:45 PM   #4
Project AOD
Registered Member

Talking

thanks Jeff,went there.nice site,raced there (norwalk) a few years back.have been playing w/stock elim.last couple of years...gonna try to make it this year (bracket car).Mick

------------------
Old 01-14-2001, 02:14 PM   #5
Jeff Chambers

You ought to see Norwalk now. Bill Bader has pumped some serious cash into the place over the last few years and has made it one of the nicest tracks in the country.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team
Old 01-14-2001, 04:13 PM   #6
cometbfx
Registered Member

We're here Mick, just waiting to talk with ya.
What are you doing this winter to your ride for next season? We've been busy upgrading a few items. I'm gettin' rid of my Super Stock steel springs on the Comet, and gonna try the carbon fiber single leaf ones. Also some new wiring and a new (step down) chip for the MSD on the 'stang. Also went up to a 1" riser, and thinking about a ram air setup. Plus the usual stuff, like a new 5 point harness (just outdated), more foam for the roll cage, had the lower half on one side painted (now gotta get it re-lettered) plus with the rule change in one of the classes I run (Comet), the battery re-location and kill switch kit...just a bunch of small stuff. How 'bout you?

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Hell, I'll drink to that!
cometbfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:21 PM   #7
pro88
Registered Member

Hey you guys have all the heads-up fun. Over here on the west coast, the only heads-up stuff we get is time trials at a bracket race. I really wish people out here would get their heads out of their butts and get some kind of heads up racing here. Running pro bracket is getting boring. You guys are too far away for us to bring our hot rods out and play.
pro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:40 PM   #8
Project AOD
Registered Member

B/FX...huh! ya know I was around in those days.thunderbolts,F/x comets etc. actually I've been workin on my 69 MACH I (1st car I ever owned)purchased new. my other car is a 87 lx (hertz car).5.0,stock block,ported E7s,edel rpm,70mm,hookerLT.,stock cam @ 4ret.,AOD,tci 3200,art carr shift kit,drag susp,4.30s,Hoosiers,3000lb w/me..best 11.99 110 1.56 60'.....about your comet? Mick P.S.,Jeff,we were at world nats (norwalk)last yr..N,P/sa 88gt(IM partners on this car) our hometrack Quaker City is IHRA now. see ya!

------------------
Old 01-18-2001, 01:38 AM   #9
cometbfx
Registered Member

pro88,
it wasn't always so easy to find heads-up racin'. Just a few years ago, all we had were bracket races, and "National" event 10.90 shows in S/S (NHRA) and H/R (IHRA).
In my opinion, two things changed all that. First the "speciality" events, such as Fun Ford Weekends etc. became very popular. Plus here on the east coast/midwest we have "Nostalgia" drag racing, which has skyrocketed in popularity. This is where I run my '65 Comet B/FX car. One of the associations who promote nostalgia is the NSCA (National Street Car Association). If you would like to explore the nostalgia rules and class breakdowns, check out their website.
The second thing was the start of "localized" 9.90 and 10.90 events. In our area, they are mostly run just once a month, and the locations are rotated between tracks. As I mentioned before (see the other thread), one of ours is called the Carl McQuillan series. It's just a bunch of guys who got some sponsers and promoted the hell outta it at first, to make it popular. This is something you could do up in your area. Get all the guys together who might be interested, even the guys running up to the mid-11s or so, and then start making "sales" calls on potential sponsers. Also contact different tracks within about 100 mile radius, 'cause then you could draw more sponsers and racers. I know it works, I've seen it done here. If 9.90 or 10.90 isn't good in your area, one local track here atarted a 12.0 heads up class, which was pretty popular!
Good luck, I hope you can get it done, and have lotsa fun!
Bill

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-18-2001, 02:32 AM   #10
cometbfx
Registered Member

Mick,
glad to hear you were also lucky enough to be "around" in those days. For fear of dating myself, not only was I "around", I was drag racin' too! Started with a '49 Ford, didn't even have a drivers license. My Mom used to have to tow me with a chain to our local dragstrip (about 2 miles away) every Sunday morning and back in the evening. Moved up to a '56 Olds, then finally a new '60 Biscayne 348. In '61 I joined Chevrolet Motor Division and ran Chevys for 3 years. When the GM ban came on in late '63, I switched to Dodges, and ran them till Uncle Sam sent the draft notice in May 1966. So I was right there with ya, and the T-Bolts, Comets, Hemis etc. I'm sure you remember the two most famous B/FX '65 Comets.....Doug Nash's, and Tommy Thompson's. Weren't they great! I can still remember the first time I saw the 289/271hp with Webers!!! WOW!...and that day it whipped a big block Catalina!
To answer your question, the Comet is a 306 with cross drilled crank, 11 1/2+:1 comp, fly cut pistons, TF heads/2.02 stainless steel swerl polished valves, ported and "cleaned-up", Crower cam, induction: either 1x4 or 2x4, depending on the index...either 11:75 or 12.0.
Turbo Action C4 with "Cheetah" everything with a 5500 stall, 9" rear with full spool and 5:14 gears with Moser 33 spline axles, plus a lot of little things that I'm sure I'm forgetting, like external oil cooler etc.
The number one B/FX Comet in the USA at this time, that I know of, is Dave Coonce's, I've seen him run low 11.70s with Webers, on a 4 speed car.
I hope this answers your questions. You're not too far from me. Hope we can get together sometime (see your other thread). Your '69 MACH 1 sounds great! I'd love to see it. That's great that you bought it new, and were able to keep it all these years. I wish I had kept some of mine from the '60s!
Bill
p.s. my 10.90 car is an '80 Fox

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-18-2001, 02:56 AM   #11
cometbfx
Registered Member

Jeff, please delete this.
Tried to post a pic, but couldn't.
Thanks,
Bill

[This message has been edited by cometbfx (edited 01-18-2001).]
Old 01-18-2001, 07:45 AM   #12
Jeff Chambers

No need to. You guys are doing fine. Keep it up and maybe we'll draw some attention over here in our little corner.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team
Old 01-18-2001, 10:45 PM   #13
pro88
Registered Member

Hey good idea cometbfx! There's enough of us around here that we could band together and try to get heads-up racing going. Most of us are racing Mustangs. We keep reading in Super Ford about all the different heads-up classes out there now and we just get discouraged because we don't have anything like that here(big whine). All of us run low 11's. We have a nostaglia race, but it's only once a year. We get to see the old Thunderbolts and Comets, the old S/S cars. They're a blast to watch. The NHRA heads up classes are neat but you HAVE to run 9.90 or 10.90. We are more apt to go and see who's got the fastest car, not who's got their delay boxes and throttle stops dialed in. This is why we want more East Coast style of heads-up racing. Thanks for the info on working on getting somes heads-up racing start here on the West Coast. I'll pass this info. to my fellow racer and get working on it.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:27 AM   #14
Ron1
Registered Member

Maybe I am a little confused here, but I always thought "heads up" was he who has the fastest car in a particular class wins. Like in "Pro Street" or "True Street. If you run delay boxes and Throttle stops, you are aiming at a "time" bracket, whether that is 8.90 or 9.90 or whatever. The problem with "heads up" is that he with the most $$$$ wins. The engineering and the best parts, all the latest gadgets and technologies, that keeps a lot of us out. Race at Woodburn or White City pro88?

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 04:38 PM   #15
cometbfx
Registered Member

pro88, you and Ron are oh so very right about the stops. IMHO, that's when H/R (and S/S) lost their virginity. It used to be that if you saw a guy make a couple of passes at say, 10.91 and/or 10.92, you thought, wow!, I'd better be sharp today, 'cause he's right on! Now, as an example, it's not uncommon to see 4 or 5 10.90's right on the money at events. And if you're not dialed in, say runnin' a 10.93 or better as your best, you better go home. Somehow, the "charm" of H/R has passed.
Also, I'm trying to scan for you a thank you ad from our local drag racing newspaper that the guys who run one of the "local" index events put in for the sponsers. It will give you an idea of those companies who might be willing to back a program for you guys. I really hope you are successful putting together a heads-up show. Maybe once you try it and get "hooked", you'll never wanna go back to bracket racin'. As you can see from my sig, I'm convinced it's the "only way to fly" !
Bill

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-19-2001, 05:43 PM   #16
cometbfx
Registered Member

Ron,

"heads up" really refers to the launch, and not whether you're full bore out the "back door" (without a "break-out" rule) or confined to an et number (no break-outs).

In the type of "heads up" I'm talking about, maybe it would be better to say "heads up, index, no break-out", although it can really be any combination of all the variables, depending on whose rules you're running under. Also in heads up, you can have a pro tree, or H/U tree. Think of it more like using a flagman; both cars are supposed to be allowed to launch at the same time. The index/no break-out part came about as many learned years ago that without a breakout rule, as you so correctly stated, it's purely the $$$ that wins races (all other things being equal). So in using an index with a no brake-out rule (no boxes permitted, such as in Nostalgia), the competition is a lot keener and exciting. Each guy has to be on his toes at the tree (unlike without a "no break-out rule", you might be able to make up for a marginal tree at the top end), and know his ride very well and have it dialed into the index, without busting it. You are right about without having a "break-out" rule that it "keeps a lot of us out"......and it did for years. That's why,I believe, bracket racin' had to be created, as traditional competition was to become just impossible to keep up with as far as dollars are concerned, and drag racing in general was slipping in popularity. So heads up, index, no break-out racin' is just an extension of bracket, or dial-in, racin'....only more fun!

So you CAN have heads up racing without constantly chasing the big $$$ !!!
Hope this helps,
Bill

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Old 01-19-2001, 08:52 PM   #17
pro88
Registered Member

Ron1, We usually go to Woodburn for Test/Tune and the All Ford Drags. We hit White City about 4 to 5 times a season. But we mainly do our bracket racing and race for points at Coos Bay Dragstrip. Have you seen our last car? It was a '71 Pinto with a 351W. We ran Sportsman with it. The car was called "Double Dreamin'". We finished 2nd in points for 2000 at Coos Bay. Unfortunately I had a .498 red light in round 1 of the Race of Champions at the E.T. Finals at Woodburn. This year we're running an '88 Pony with a '69 351W for motivation. We tested the car at the last race at White City(11.48's and 114 mph. with 1.70's 60ft.'s) We're just about ready for this next season. The car's name is Ranyhyne(it's a mythical horse that chooses it's own rider and that rider is there for life). It's a dark teal green. Competition #P658. We'll be at the test/tune at Woodburn in the middle of March. Come by and say hello.
Old 01-20-2001, 01:40 AM   #18
Ron1
Registered Member

I think it helped Bill. I noticed when I ran with the NMRA in some classes they allow a breakout and you can run again if within the allowed time. This is my 4th year in the game, last year 1st year running for points in S/Pro. Not too bad, had fun.

Pro88...I will keep my eyes open for you in March. I run a 65 Mustang FB, Porche Red. Running S/Pro #373. Slowest car in the class I think. Usually run on a 10.20 dial. Best 60 foot last year was in Phoenix with the NMRA...1.360.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:41 AM   #19
Project AOD
Registered Member

Talking

B/FX,sounds like a monster,only seen one lately & it was red,s/blk w/webbers.&that was a while back (ricart ford meet... I have 3 brothers & we were born & bred FORD,(my dad sold for 30 yrs)....between us we have,69mach I,87 lx,(bracket car),87gt(o/sa),89gt(n/sa),93lightning,72 torino Q car,72mustQ car(just sold)was a pure stocker,89lx(street et),79 PACE CAR.(FOR SALE)2,000 mi.,oh a superformance,COBRA,460..a beast!....nice chattin .Mick.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:41 AM   #20
George Klass
Registered Member

Hey pro88, do you know Rance and Nancy Kastor from uo Oregon way?
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: