View Single Post
Old 01-18-2001, 01:38 AM   #9
cometbfx
Registered Member

pro88,
it wasn't always so easy to find heads-up racin'. Just a few years ago, all we had were bracket races, and "National" event 10.90 shows in S/S (NHRA) and H/R (IHRA).
In my opinion, two things changed all that. First the "speciality" events, such as Fun Ford Weekends etc. became very popular. Plus here on the east coast/midwest we have "Nostalgia" drag racing, which has skyrocketed in popularity. This is where I run my '65 Comet B/FX car. One of the associations who promote nostalgia is the NSCA (National Street Car Association). If you would like to explore the nostalgia rules and class breakdowns, check out their website.
The second thing was the start of "localized" 9.90 and 10.90 events. In our area, they are mostly run just once a month, and the locations are rotated between tracks. As I mentioned before (see the other thread), one of ours is called the Carl McQuillan series. It's just a bunch of guys who got some sponsers and promoted the hell outta it at first, to make it popular. This is something you could do up in your area. Get all the guys together who might be interested, even the guys running up to the mid-11s or so, and then start making "sales" calls on potential sponsers. Also contact different tracks within about 100 mile radius, 'cause then you could draw more sponsers and racers. I know it works, I've seen it done here. If 9.90 or 10.90 isn't good in your area, one local track here atarted a 12.0 heads up class, which was pretty popular!
Good luck, I hope you can get it done, and have lotsa fun!
Bill

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Hell, I'll drink to that!
cometbfx is offline   Reply With Quote