View Single Post
Old 01-18-2001, 02:32 AM   #10
cometbfx
Registered Member

Mick,
glad to hear you were also lucky enough to be "around" in those days. For fear of dating myself, not only was I "around", I was drag racin' too! Started with a '49 Ford, didn't even have a drivers license. My Mom used to have to tow me with a chain to our local dragstrip (about 2 miles away) every Sunday morning and back in the evening. Moved up to a '56 Olds, then finally a new '60 Biscayne 348. In '61 I joined Chevrolet Motor Division and ran Chevys for 3 years. When the GM ban came on in late '63, I switched to Dodges, and ran them till Uncle Sam sent the draft notice in May 1966. So I was right there with ya, and the T-Bolts, Comets, Hemis etc. I'm sure you remember the two most famous B/FX '65 Comets.....Doug Nash's, and Tommy Thompson's. Weren't they great! I can still remember the first time I saw the 289/271hp with Webers!!! WOW!...and that day it whipped a big block Catalina!
To answer your question, the Comet is a 306 with cross drilled crank, 11 1/2+:1 comp, fly cut pistons, TF heads/2.02 stainless steel swerl polished valves, ported and "cleaned-up", Crower cam, induction: either 1x4 or 2x4, depending on the index...either 11:75 or 12.0.
Turbo Action C4 with "Cheetah" everything with a 5500 stall, 9" rear with full spool and 5:14 gears with Moser 33 spline axles, plus a lot of little things that I'm sure I'm forgetting, like external oil cooler etc.
The number one B/FX Comet in the USA at this time, that I know of, is Dave Coonce's, I've seen him run low 11.70s with Webers, on a 4 speed car.
I hope this answers your questions. You're not too far from me. Hope we can get together sometime (see your other thread). Your '69 MACH 1 sounds great! I'd love to see it. That's great that you bought it new, and were able to keep it all these years. I wish I had kept some of mine from the '60s!
Bill
p.s. my 10.90 car is an '80 Fox

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Hell, I'll drink to that!
cometbfx is offline   Reply With Quote