View Single Post
Old 01-19-2001, 05:43 PM   #16
cometbfx
Registered Member

Ron,

"heads up" really refers to the launch, and not whether you're full bore out the "back door" (without a "break-out" rule) or confined to an et number (no break-outs).

In the type of "heads up" I'm talking about, maybe it would be better to say "heads up, index, no break-out", although it can really be any combination of all the variables, depending on whose rules you're running under. Also in heads up, you can have a pro tree, or H/U tree. Think of it more like using a flagman; both cars are supposed to be allowed to launch at the same time. The index/no break-out part came about as many learned years ago that without a breakout rule, as you so correctly stated, it's purely the $$$ that wins races (all other things being equal). So in using an index with a no brake-out rule (no boxes permitted, such as in Nostalgia), the competition is a lot keener and exciting. Each guy has to be on his toes at the tree (unlike without a "no break-out rule", you might be able to make up for a marginal tree at the top end), and know his ride very well and have it dialed into the index, without busting it. You are right about without having a "break-out" rule that it "keeps a lot of us out"......and it did for years. That's why,I believe, bracket racin' had to be created, as traditional competition was to become just impossible to keep up with as far as dollars are concerned, and drag racing in general was slipping in popularity. So heads up, index, no break-out racin' is just an extension of bracket, or dial-in, racin'....only more fun!

So you CAN have heads up racing without constantly chasing the big $$$ !!!
Hope this helps,
Bill

------------------
HeadsUp4ever!

Hell, I'll drink to that!
cometbfx is offline   Reply With Quote