View Single Post
Old 04-14-2000, 03:14 PM   #2
Veloxity
Registered Member

Check the water level in the radiator - if it's low, drop the drainplug on the oilpan and see if it drains water. If so - headgasket at best/physical damage at worst.

If the fluids look fine, AND the car will at least turn over with a fresh battery, I'd check the fuel supply. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and point it into a coffee can. Turn the motor over and see if it pumps fuel. If not - check the filter and fuel level. I'm not sure about a 6 cylinder, but on an 8, the fuel pump is driven by the cam/timing chain. Occastionally the dog ear that holds the fuel pump rotator thingie can break - that or the cam bolt can come loose.

If the fuel supply seems fine, reconnect the fuel lines and spray a little carburetor starter fluid in the carb, step back, then try to start the car.

If still no-go, stick a timing light on the wire the connects the coil and distributor. If you see flashes from the timing light, try the #1 cylinder plug wire. If you see a light there, grab an old sparkplug and connect it to the #1 plug wire then lay it on a grounded surface (not painted) AWAY from any fuel. If you see spark, then I can't help ya out. *shrug*

Lemmie know the results of the above tests...

------------------
'66 Coupe - heavy mods
http://www.acsol.net/~intruder/66coupe.html
Veloxity is offline   Reply With Quote