MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-2001, 04:32 PM   #1
andydallas
Registered Member

Question door beam removal

if anyone has any experience/advice on removing the door 'beam', let me know,,it looks like a tough thing to get out (can you cut it out without screwing up the door/paint?

thanks
andydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 06:25 AM   #2
jchambers

Its not that bad if you take your time. There's enough space between the beam and the skin that you won't touch the skin if you're careful. I used my Dremel tool with the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels. It took about six wheels per door. Cut the beam as close to the ends as possible. Then remove some of the webbing between openings back by the latch/lock area and you'll be able to manipulate the door beam out in one piece. I had to us a rubber mallet to temporarily 'rearrange' the inner door panel to get the beam out, but it bent right back when I was done. You'll also have to drill out the rivets for the window regulators and remove the front window track and middle window slider so that you've got room to work. I just used duct tape to hold the window in the up position while I worked.

In all it only takes an hour or so for each side.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.655 Seconds/116.6 MPH
Chambers Racing Team

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: