MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Which classes should I take?
MCSE 6 75.00%
Automotive(the guys teaching that class are BLEEPIN morons) 1 12.50%
Lab tech 0 0%
other 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. This poll is closed

Old 12-11-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Which classes should I take?

I've been mulling it over for a few months now, and I am no closer to a decision. Should I take the MicroSoft Certifacation classes, or should I go the Automotive Performance route? Any other ideas out there that I haven't thought of?

My mom wants me to take some Lab tech classes so I can go to work for a Hospital or something. I dunno, though. I don't like having to deal with people too much. The one thing I am not, is a people person, know what I mean?

Anywya, thanks in advance for the ideas and constructional criticism. Later.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:32 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb A few thoughts

Tough for anyone else to make this decision as it's really up to you.

The options you offer are widely varied which complicates matters even more.

Some points to consider:

In almost any job you'll have to 'deal with people' but you can usually avoid dealing with the general public in a computer-related, automotive, or hospital lab job.

If you don't like hospitals and the lab environment, skip that option. Do you like chemistry? Good at attention to detail? These all factor into a lab job and must be considered.

Computer pros are in big demand (ask Dan McClain) but as in any field, the positions vary and so does the pay. Getting certified can't hurt.

I'm not knowledgable enough to advise anyone in this field but I would caution you that whatever way you go in the computer world, you'll be spending most of your time at a keyboard, staring at a monitor. No problem for some folks but if you don't like sitting in one spot all day it could work against you. Another issue worth mentioning is that many times what you like to do for fun becomes a big bore when you have to do it for pay; with rules, deadlines and bosses criticizing your work. I've seen this happen.

Same goes for automotive work.

I like messing with my car but doing it for pay, with all the pressures of beating the flat rate and keeping the customer satisfied (as well as the boss) can be a losing proposition for some.
Automotive work can pay well but again, it's a far cry from computers (except for electronic analysis and understanding processors) and it's a physical job which can be good or bad depending on a lot of factors, including your stamina.

If your school has idiots running the Automotive classes, there isn't much point in wasting your time there. There are excellent trade schools around that might be a better option either now or down the road.

Just a few random thoughts.

I'm sure the mechanics and computer pros will weigh in with more useful comments but this was meant to get your thread started.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 05:52 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Yeah, man. that is really kinda up to you. Just make sure whatever you pick is something you really want to do, otherwise it'll be just a waste of time and life is too short to be wasting time on crap (obviously).
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:36 PM   #4
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i'm in the same boat as you, i'm going back to school in the spring after 3 years off. i wasen't sure what classes to take. it was either automotive tech or electronic engineering tech. i love to work on my car thats why i wanted to go in to mechanics, but if i made that my living would i want to work on my car after a long day? i don't want to loose the passion and piece of mind i get from working on my car. so i decided to do electronics, it pays more and i am also interested in that field. i can still be the "do it yourself mechanic" and have fun doing it without worrying about deadlines! good luck on whatever you choose!!

Craig

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
LILBlueNotch
Registered Member

Hey buddy,
This is the girlfriend of a mustang driver and I have been in the same boat with my boyfriend. You have to go and do something that makes you happy. You are going to be the one doing it for the rest of your life. It has to be your goal and not someone else's. If cars interest you and you are happy doing it than do it. It does not seem like you want to work in a lab. You have to have the determination to do it and when going gets tough you have to have some insentive to do it. If you are not doing something that makes you happy than you are going to have some really rough times when school gets the worst of you.
Right now i'm in school too and you gotta keep you head up high and go for your dreams. So go for what you want to do. Best of Luck to you in all that you do and do it for you!!!

LILBlueNotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:40 PM   #6
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I think I have all but decided. I'm going to go with the MCSE certifacation classes. I'm still going to take a few automotive classes, but I really don't know why, concidering that I could teach the ******* class myself. It should be interesting listening to those idiots teaching to see how far off base they are.

Anyway, just thought I'd see if everyone else thought the same as me. Thanks, later.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:57 PM   #7
MustangDanny
Registered Member

You'll make the most $$ with the MCSE. Then you can have more to play with.
My Notch
MustangDanny is offline   Reply With Quote