MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-1999, 12:47 AM   #1
mustang_500hp
Registered Member

Question To George Klass regarding E7 heads

I was talking with Jeff Chambers in the Late Model Tech Forum About heads from a certain racing shop called G&M racing service.I had talked with the owner of the shop and he says that the way to get E7 heads to flow is in the bowl and chamber prep. now he claims that these heads are trophy stock legal however he also says that they flow 230 cfm of air.this sent up a big proceed with caution sign and jeff also said i shoul ask you about them the companies web page is http://www.gamrace.com the man i talked to is greg lankford. any help would be appreciated because if they are legal i want to use them.

------------------
Future trophy Stock Champion.
mustang_500hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-1999, 10:10 AM   #2
George Klass
Registered Member

Porting is not permitted in T/S, period. Bowl work or chamber work is just another name
for porting. Don't do it.
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-1999, 08:27 PM   #3
461sb
Registered Member

Lightbulb

My name is Greg Lankford, owner of G&M Racing Services. After reading these comments from Mr. Anderson , Chambers, and Klauss, i feel as though we are being betrayed as some fly by night orginazation who is giving Mr. Anderson a round of BS just to get his money . well, the last set of heads we did for TS, the mods we done were legal. we werent aware
of the rule changes to cylinder heads to TS
( Mr. Anderson was only inquiring about heads, he mentioned he was at least a month away from doing his heads, we would have checked the latest rules before starting on his set) Our 230 cfm E7 heads is in fact a reality and once set the TS record with the same combo we were discussing. I will not discuss our mods cause we have burn up about 3 motors on Superflows learning how to port them and i have seen many sets of hogged out stock heads done by other shops that not ever went over 210 cfm. Our E7 heads in (non-legal TS trim) have gone as quick as 11.65 on a stick car and has gone 10.70's with 125HP shot N2O. So i can speak with confidence when i say our E7 heads are some of the best in the country if not THE BEST.we can also work on any other TS legal combo there is. The guy responsible for our head preperation has held many records in both the old AMRA and FFW including TS, Street Stock, and Pro 5.0 . He was also responsible for the heads and intakes on the first 8 second
pass by a Super Stock Hemi in NHRA Super Stock on Bucky Hess's car. so u can see, when it comes to building first class race or street heads, we know exactly what we are doing and the records speak for themselves. we will gladly put our work up against any cylinder head shop in the country to prove our selves and that our heads will be seen on some of the fastest cars in Ford comptition in 2000. i did not mean to offend anyone here, but just to set the record straight that we are very much in the know when it comes to preparing heads, and felt the need to take time to protect our reputation which can be tarnished so quickly with just a few words by individuals who may not know the whole story and might draw conclusions based off the comments of others. good day and good luck with your cars, and see u at the races
461sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-1999, 08:36 PM   #4
frankjp
Registered Member

I will add that I have bought parts off from G&M and they are a class outfit. Greg, in particular has answered many questions when I have only bought some rods, gaskets, bolts, and other small parts, nothing as large as heads.
I just wanted to say that they are a good place to deal with.

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

frankjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-1999, 08:02 AM   #5
jchambers

I'll stick by my previous statements that an E7TE head flowing 230cfm IS NOT going to be legal for Trophy Stock competition. The rules are explicit in what is allowed. The only modifications allowed to any of the cast iron production heads allowed in T/S competiton are as follows: 1) Gasket matching to any gasket no farther (deeper) than 1" from the gasket surface. 2) Multi-angle valve job. 3) Deck surface preparation (shaving for flatness & compression). Beyond that there is NO combustion chamber preparation (polishing or welding), bowl work (porting) or fitting of oversized valves. I have no doubt that G&M can prep an E7TE head to flow 230 cfm, I do seriously doubt that it can be done following the rules listed above. I have raced in the years past against the T/S racer who set those records, but the rules have changed and the kind of working that went into those heads is severely frowned upon and punishable under the new rules.

It'll be blantantly obvious if any T/S race shows up blasting off low to sub-12's with the E7TE castings and you can bet that the other racers playing by the rules will be the first to bring it to the attention of the FFW officials and put up the money required for the tear-down (if required).

If you don't plan on playing by the rules, then don't play at all.

Jeff Chambers
T/S #4

[This message has been edited by jchambers (edited 07-29-1999).]
Old 07-29-1999, 11:49 AM   #6
frankjp
Registered Member

Jeff,

Hey, have you assumed the points lead yet? I won't be able to make it to Cordova, wife and I are going on vacation...

I think all Greg was saying was that he was not aware at the time that the rules had changed forbidding porting and over-size valves, etc.

The 230 cfm heads he is talking about were legal in the past, but not now of course, he just hadn't seen the updated rules.

Greg is a good guy, just some miscommunication.

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

frankjp is offline   Reply With Quote