MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Lightbulb Getting Sponsored...how???

I plan on doing alot of racing this year at a local track in their "sportsman" (slow) bracket. My question is how do you go about getting sponsored. Even if i can't get sponsored with the car i have currently, what do i need to do in order to be able to take advantage of sponsorship.
I'm going to bracket race my Crown Vic this year at a local track. The track has a sponsor for each lane and i see cars all the time with sponsorship decals on them. I don't plan on doing NHRA brackets, just the track's "performance corner" points racing for that track (pacific raceways in Kent, Washington). I know the big dogs racing in the NHRA big events usually have sponsors, but i'm just starting out and think it would be fun to learn how to get into this.
-any insight about how you guys got into racing or got sponsored would help alot.
-thanks,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...how???

It takes a ton of work to secure good sponsorship, especially if you're running in a national series like Fun Ford, NMRA, IHRA, etc. For your local bracket racing, you're likely to only find someone local who is willing to sponsor you since your exposure is going to be limited to the local crowd.

Most companies set their sponsorship budgets 6 or 8 months in front of the season. M/T, Summit, MSD and most other national companies have selected their sponsored rides by November or December of last year for this coming race season. So you need to start real early to get in the game.

You also need to do something to set yourself apart. Competition is as fierce off the track as it is on the track. Two years ago, I was trying to get in with a national head manufacturer. I courted the relationship for months leading up to the PRI show in Indy (Dec) thinking that I was out front in the competition. I showed up at their booth with my sponsorship package in hand, made a good impression, made my presentation, etc. They took my portfolio, opened one of their display cabinets and placed the portfolio on top of a stack of similar portfolios that was literally more than two feet tall. I was but one of maybe 300 or 400 others who had showed up at their booth to make a case for sponsorship. I eventually had the opportunity to work with them, but passed on the offer in lieu of a more lucrative one. I literally spent hundreds of dollars and many hours courting this one and in the end turned it down. I still talk with them on occasion though so that the bridge hasn't been burnt.

Nowadays, people are getting fancy. Its not uncommon to pay a professional $1000 or more to create an interactive CD with graphics, movies, etc. Or to have a professional create a brochure-type portfolio. In the past I've always created my own (I've got one available on my website), but anymore it just doesn't shine with the professionalism that most do. Our new portfolio will be a professionally made one.

Be prepared to spend a small fortune on your phone bill while seeking sponsorship. You've got to court the sponsors just like you would your girlfried. When actively seeking sponsorship, its not uncommon for my monthly long distance bill to be $200 or $300, for six months running. You've got to talk to the people often, find out where and when they're going to be on the road, arrange meetings, etc. You've got to spend money to make money.

Lastly, don't underestimate the value of creating a good old fashioned friendship. I have a long-standing, unwritten sponsorship with Lentech Automatics. Its a friendship that has developed over a long period of time and one that I truly respect and enjoy. Even though Len is in Canada and I don't get to see him in person as often as I'd like, we keep in close contact and talk about more than racing. We have a lot in common and have a mutual respect for each other. Of course Len likes it when I can increase his sales, but he also enjoys seeing us improve at a personal level and enjoys sharing life's other events with us. This type of sponsorship is a rarity; if you can find it, keep it near and dear.

There are some real good articles on securing sponsorship out there on the web. George Klass has written a few for the Fun Ford website and Competitionplus website. There is a good thread over on Hardcore50 on presentation materials. There are also good books available through different publishing houses. Read everything you can.

Remember, a company will only sponsor you if they think you can improve their bottom line. They're really not interested in helping you improve as a racer or subsidizing your program just to make it cheaper for you personally. You've got to be able to prove to them that you can work to their benefit. If you can find that hook, you're on your way.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Thank you very much for your response, that helps alot!

On the local level, what kind of stuff would i get in return for a sponsorship (if i put their logo on my car, etc.), discounts? Free stuff? Even if i don't have a very good sponsorship, it's something. I plan on persuing this more actively next year and get my feet wet. What kind of things should i present or offer a prospective sponsor?
Thanks,
Enok

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

For your plans, I would recommend going after the local stores/shops. You'd be very hard pressed to get a "big" name as a sponsor with just local racing in your scedule.

A friend of mine has been given free parts and small amounts of money ($100 here and there) to run their decals on his windows. He's even got a pizza place as a "sponsor". Just get to know the people, and bring it up without any sort of pressure to see if they would be interested.

It wouldn't hurt to have a few win's, with proof, under your belt that you can show to them either

I've thought about going after some sponsorships, but as Jeff basically put it, you gotta have money (and patience) to "make money" And I think I'm just too impatient to deal with it. Maybe if I actually get off my butt and start running NMRA PS like I really want, then I'll go after it. I guess I gotta be good first though!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Jeff Chambers

I just found the most awesome sponsor ever. He's completely on-board with my entire racing program and is willing to fund it 100%. He never complains about paying for my parts and even lets me sleep with his wife. Boy oh boy is life ever great. Just so he knows that I'm doing my part, here's his website. Visit it often and tell him what a great racer I am. http://crt-performance.com
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

but does his wife complain about him paying for parts?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Jeff Chambers

No, but she complains about having to sleep with me!
CRT Performance