MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-2001, 12:02 AM   #1
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Question going to the track for first time

ok i'm going to the track for the first time on wednesday. i was just wondering what i could expect there, and how i should go about running the quarter? i don't have a lot of wheel spin now, but will the track be different then the street? any info that would help me out would be great. also what do u think i will be running for a time? thanks to all!!!
Craig

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 06:47 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

With the AOD, you probably won't suffer the wheelspin on your street tires that the stick guys get. Try foot braking it as high on the stall converter as you can take it without letting it shove you through the lights. This is a little tougher than it sounds, at least for me with a 5200 stall...I much prefer my transbrake compared to foot-braking it. But anyways, bring it up as high as you can then mash the gas while releasing the brake on the third amber light. To get the most out of your AOD, you'll have to do the 'AOD shuffle'. If you've never done it, do a search on the archives here on MW and you'll get some explanations on how to do it. It can be worth a few tenths over letting the trans shift itself.

Most of all, relax and have fun. I'd really recommend standing up at the starting line for a little while before your first pass so that you can see how people do the burnout, stage and launch. Watch the tree to get a feeling of when their leaving...don't wait for green or you're too late.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:00 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

hey thanks, i know all about the aod shuffle. i can get it between 1500 and 1900 rpm's before while spin with power breaking. depends on the different street surfaces i guess. if i leave on the third amber light i won't red light it at all? one other thing, do i need to do a burn out on street tires?
thanks!

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 11:24 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

If you're running an ordinary street tire (not an ET/Street) then just spin them enough to clean them off. You'll see some people drive completely around the waterbox to avoid dragging water up to the line in their treads; this is recommended. Your car won't react quick enough to redlight on the third amber. Stand at the line and watch a bunch of cars launch, and you'll get the idea of the rhythm & timing.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote