MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2002, 08:54 PM   #1
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Thumbs up Just got my new gears installed!

Oh man! Such a difference! I went from stock 2.73s to Cobra 3.55s...ouch! Feels so much better! Of course my calibration is off, so it says I am doing 110 at about 85...but oh well. Anyone know of a place in Ventura County that I can get it calibrated at? I bought a speedo gear for it, but I think they sent me the wrong one. Oh well! He he he! Anyone who doubts what a difference gears makes needs to be smacked, I am loving this! I got pulled over about 4 hours after I got them installed! No ticket though!
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
BLWN327
Registered Member

gears are a great mod.on my 91 i had i went from 2:73 to 3:73 that was an awesome difference also.down the street where they were installed i was bangin thirds i dont know about your area where to get the speedo gear but i heard they dont last long at all,my buddy had one on his 93 cobra and it only lasted a few months http://hapygas.stangnet.com
BLWN327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:03 PM   #3
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

I got the speedo gear off the 5.0 Restoration website. I think they sent me one for 3.27 or 3.08 gears though.
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
Old 04-11-2002, 02:22 AM   #4
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Go to brothersperformance.com. A while back I got a speedo gear from them for around $15 I think. I'm sure others have it too. I got some Redline gear oil from them while I was at it which would be a good idea if you hadn't already done so.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:25 AM   #5
Stang39r
Registered Member

do speedos wear out quickly cause i have heard about an Abbot Box that is supposed to be for the life of the car basically...or something like that
Stang39r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:49 AM   #6
89lxinwky
Registered Member

I've never heard about different speedo's wearing out quicker. I assume they are the same as stock except with more/less teeth. I changed the speedo in my '87 when i went to 3.55's and never had a problem for several years, the gears and the speedo were used when I got them too.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 03:40 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I'm such a slacker, I've had brand new 3.55's in a box for three years now.. think i should put them in and get rid or the 3.08's yet???
Old 04-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #8
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89lxinwky
Go to brothersperformance.com. A while back I got a speedo gear from them for around $15 I think. I'm sure others have it too. I got some Redline gear oil from them while I was at it which would be a good idea if you hadn't already done so.
Thanks, will try them if I can't get it calibrated today! I had Ford Motorsports Synthetic oil put in, so its pretty good oil. Thanks for the suggestion though!
_ ___________________ _
Old 04-12-2002, 04:35 AM   #9
PKRWUD

If you have 15" wheels, the correct replacement gear is Orange, and has 20 teeth. If you have 16" wheels, the correct replacement gear is Tan and has 19 teeth.

As far as a place around here to have it calibrated, the only thing I can think of off the top is to call AAA in Ventura (they're at Victoria & Ralston, 644-7171), and ask them if they know of a place. I know they have free services like that every couple of months in their parking lot, but they probably know where to have it done locally as well.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Ah, they gave me an orange one, thought I had to have 21 teeth for 3.55s though. And it never occured to me about my wheels. RIght now I have 16s on there, but in a few months I'll have 17s...

Amanda
_ ___________________ _