MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2001, 07:16 PM   #1
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Question "Launch" Seeking tips - advice. (long)

Hope some of you experienced drivers will share info or tips on the best procedures to follow for a good launch at the quarter mile. I'm talking about testing the car I have, not about how many mods I could bolt onto it. The car is in Users Rides with the following additions presently being installed. Sub-Frame connectors, Traction Masters, Currie TSD 8 inch.
I did some initial short test runs in a deserted parking lot so there would be something to compare against. (289-4V /C4 /stock converter) With brakes applied, could get 1800 to 2000 RPM before stall. Then one tire easily broke loose. Hope the Currie will help here. Is this the right way or should less RPM's be used to reduce the spin?
I received good advice from a MustangWorks user that with street tires I should by-pass the burn out pit.
Just want to change from the "Never Run It" class so feel free to offer advice.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
Tom351
Registered Member

If you are spinning bad, don't do this, but in order to get the stall speed higher, do not power-brake the car. You can "flash" the stall speed higher by accelerating the engine into the converter rather than loading it up. Just leave the engine at idle in 1st gear and floor it. This gives the engine a few revs of almost freewheeling to build momentum before the converter tries to slow it down. This will cause more wheelspin though.

The same concept works with manual trannys too. Many people hold the engine at a launch rpm, for a better launch, you want the engine to be accelerating through launch rpm when you let the clutch out, not idling at launch rpm.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W ,Trick Flow Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock TorkerII, Carter 750 CFM, Comp. Cam 477/510 219/233@.050, Performance Automatic C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

My 351W Fastback
Tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 07:37 PM   #3
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Tom351,

Thanks for the info on the "flash" start. I will try both "flash" and "loaded" starts to determine which works best. Will probably test in parking lot before going to track. Currently in the process of installing the parts mentioned. Again thanks.

Lou
Lou Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 08:33 AM   #4
Tom351
Registered Member

No problem Lou!

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W ,Trick Flow Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock TorkerII, Carter 750 CFM, Comp. Cam 477/510 219/233@.050, Performance Automatic C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

My 351W Fastback
Tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote