MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-1999, 10:49 AM   #1
pnypwr
Registered Member

Default "Modifications not listed are not permitted?"

I am new to FFW racing. I am registered (T/S #82) and have been intently reading over the rules to determine what is and isn't allowed. I assume anyone responding has the '99 rules book so without repeating what is stated, I will just ask the following (am also going to pose same questions to AAP).

The following mods are "not listed" but seemingly should be allowed. Does any one know the allowance on the following?

1. Cold air induction kits (i.e. March Kit, K&N fender well mounting, smooth stainless steel / aluminum runners from filter to MAF to TB).
2. "stock suspension?" what about aftermarket shocks / struts, upper and lower control arms, polygraphite bushings, etc. (of these only have KYBs currently but have been planning on the others).
3. Ignition mods (wires, plugs, coil, distributor, etc.)
4. Clutch assemblies
5. H-pipe / cats (hi-flow or none)
6. Fuel injectors
7. Fuel pump flow rate (in-take)

Any info on other traps you guys may have already run into would be useful as I get my feet wet.

I hope to see some of you at the Houston event.

DeWayne Everage
93 5.0 LX HB
T/S #82
14.43 @ 92

------------------
pnypwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-1999, 11:11 AM   #2
jchambers

DeWayne,

Its always best to check with George Klass if it seems to be in the grey area, but I can tell you from experience that most of what you ask is legal.

The only exception is probably with the cold-air induction kits. The March Ram-air kit had always been considered 'force induction' and therefore was not allowed. The scoop itself was OK as long as it didn't run into a closed filter box. This may have changed though since I saw complete ram-air kits at both the Bradenton and Commerce events.

As for the rest of your questions, they are basically allowed if they are stock-style replacements.

Any clarifications George?

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.63 Seconds/108.44 MPH
Old 04-26-1999, 11:39 AM   #3
ipscshooter
Registered Member

What about subframe connectors? Any idea what class I would have to run with the mods listed below?

What's the agenda for this weekend's event at HRP?

DeWayne: What shooting sports are you into?

------------------
1989 GT: Pro-M 77, 65mm T-body, Cobra Intake, 24lb. injectors, Y-303 GT-40 heads, 1.7 Crane Rockers, BBK Long-Tube Headers & H-Pipe, Flowmaster Cat-Back, SVO Subframes, more to come!
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-1999, 02:41 PM   #4
frankjp
Registered Member

Hi,

I have talked with George a few times and also on e-mails. You can get aftermarket shocks and struts, you can get adjustable uppers as well.

Basically the only thing on the list that is in question is the cold-air induction. I have e-mailed George on this, but am waiting an answer. I think fender-mount would be allowed, heck SN-95's are real close to fendermount to begin with. I did know that in the past ram-air kits were not allowed, as Jeff stated. I think fender-mount is technically different and is not force induction at all. But, Goerge is the final word. I already placed the order for my Pro-M meter set-up for fender-mount induction as I decided it would most likely be allowed. I would not to like to have to have it recalibrated, but again George has the final word.

There really is no class for ispcshooter as I see it. The aluminum heads mean you are not allowed for Trophy Stock or Street Stock. You are pretty much bumped into Street Renegade. You need a power adder there as they are about to hit 9's. Your best bet is probably one of the bracket classes, and you might as well run True Street as they do give away prizes to the best 12, 13, and 14 second averages.

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

frankjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-1999, 02:43 PM   #5
pnypwr
Registered Member

IPSCSHOOTER,
Into sporting clays (American Shooting Club) and pistol range (though haven't shot in quite a while). Give me a ring (281-423-4446 - wk or 281-970-3993 - hm) and I will get a fax number from you to send some info about FFW. For one thing, you have to register through America Autosports Productions in the appropriate class. You will be assigned a competition number and will receive a newsletter, etc. I am new to the FFW events myself, but will be glad to let you know what I have learned. If you are going to the event in Baytown, maybe we will run into each other.

DeWayne
T/S #82

------------------
pnypwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-1999, 02:49 PM   #6
jchambers

Subframes are legal in T/S, but your aluminum GT-40 heads and long tube headers are a definite no-no. There's also a 0.500" lift limit on the cams (which I'll assume you're over with those heads). I don't have my rule book handy, but there used to be a 65mm limit on T/B and 75mm on MAS. I can't be sure that either of these are still in effect.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.63 Seconds/108.44 MPH
Old 04-26-1999, 02:50 PM   #7
frankjp
Registered Member

Hi again,

I just talked to George, had to call since I was worried since I already bought my Pro-M calibrated for Cold-Air induction.

He said fender-mount induction is allowed, any type of arrangement is OK, as long as it is only taking air from the fender. So the kits, like BBK's, Moroso's are allowed. He said Ram-Air Kits came up once before, and he couldn't remember what the decision was, but from what I've heard from others and from Jeff, you can be DQ'd for them.

Thus, to make it short, Fender-Mount cold air induction is allowed. I would not go for Ram-Air.

Good luck!

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

Old 04-26-1999, 02:58 PM   #8
frankjp
Registered Member

Jeff is correct on the 65mm TB, that is stated in the rulebooks. There is no limit for MAF Meter size however. I am running an 80mm Pro-M unit, their new plastic one that is similar to the Pro-M 77mm.

Also, to clarify on the control arms, by stock George means "Stock suspension means stock upper & lower attachment points. The arms themselves can be HD, adjustable, etc."

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

Old 04-27-1999, 10:52 PM   #9
CouPe88
Registered Member

Sorry...Aluminum heads are allowed in Street Stock
CouPe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-1999, 12:52 AM   #10
frankjp
Registered Member

Oops, yes you are exactly right, they are. My mistake on that one, thanks for the correction.

ipscshooter would be legal for street stock, sorry about that, I keep making that mistake

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

Old 04-30-1999, 02:48 PM   #11
weaponx

You do realize that 14.40's may not get you into the field much less past the first round. T/S cars need to be in the 12's to have a chance.

S.D. Wheeler
T/S #92
85 Notchback

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: