MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-01-1999, 04:19 AM   #1
quicklx
Registered Member

Post More Trophy Stock stuff

With all the interest in the T/S class,I thought Id put in my $.02 aBOUT SOME OF THE rules.Please bear with me.Regarding removal of PS and AC.I dont have a prob with the AC,but the PS rule burns my *ss.You have to switch to a manual rack setup,which aint exactly cheap.Why cant you just run a shortbelt?THis would save weight off the front of the car,and probably lower E.Ts.The stock battery location is another area.Why not in the trunk?It definetely helps w/weight transfer.Tire size is also an area.You can run 26x8.5 slick or ANY DOT?SO I could run a 28x11.5 ET street?Of course,we have the whole weight debate going on.Some of these mods are cheap and easy to do,which fits within the T/S outlook.I mean,an aftermarket cam sure isnt "stock"I would like to hear some opinions on this,Thanx for any input.
quicklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-1999, 07:46 AM   #2
jchambers

Yeah, the 'stock' in Trophy Stock is pretty much gone, but remember that one of the goals of the class is to let folks do some of the simple, inexpensive, bolt-on modifications that they'd be doin if the weren't racing with FFW. The things we are allowed are pretty simple mods.

I campaigned agains the PS removal also...the car could be ordered without AC but not without PS (unless the strippers were manual steering...anybody know for sure?). But guess what. I ditched my PS this year and am happy I did. The effort isn't much more and the car actually handles better on the track. Plus I love those shots of my car with the front wheels off the ground! You can do a brand new TRW rack setup for less than $200 or a junk yard version for as little as $30.

I don't have my rule book handy, but DOTs are limited to 9.5 inches of tread width(?). With the advent of the ET Streets and M&H tires, this is something that needs to be watched carefully, otherwise someone with 11.5" ET Streets has a definite traction advantage. I personally don't mind the 8.5" limitation on pure slicks. It becomes part of the tuning game to put your power down through that small tire. We fuss with the suspension as much as anybody (pinion angle, tire pressure, air bag pressure, weight balance, launch rpm, etc.).

Come on out and join us. This season has proven that you don't need to be running 12.40's to enjoy tight competition. The points race is going all the way into the 13.1's with guys scrapping and clawing all the way!

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.40 Seconds/109.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm

[This message has been edited by jchambers (edited 09-01-1999).]