MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-04-2001, 11:22 PM   #1
PONY865.0
Registered Member

Question how much to cut my moroso trick springs?

Hey guys, I have a set of moroso front trick spring & need to know how much to cut off them to lower my car. The car is already 1 inch below factory. I need to knoe how mant coils to cut off so the front is 1 or 1 /12 inchs below factory in my 5.0 5spd. Thanx guys!
PONY865.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 01:44 AM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Don't cut springs. Ever. Buy different springs with a different ride height if you want a different ride height. Springs are designed to work best at a certain height. When you cut them, your ride quality suffers and it's possible to start bottoming out the car really easily.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 08:21 AM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

Quantum is right all the way. Never cut springs, why do you think ricers have all that negative camber? cut springs. Like he said, the springs are designed to work the way that they are manufactured, and if you mess with that you will get a horrible ride and handling, as well as bad camber.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 09:11 AM   #4
spinemup
Registered Member

the moroso springs are supposed to be cut...if you don't cut them you are gonna have like 3 inches of lift. your not supposed to cut progressive rate springs. but linear rate springs are ok to cut just as long as you dont use a torch to cut them...the torch will un-temper the spring and it will lose its rigidity. use a grinder and start with cutting one coil at a time. its trial and error. moroso springs aren't meant to lower your car either...they are drag racing springs. most drag cars i see aren't slammed to the ground. i hope someone backs me up on this because im sick of all the misinformation that is spreading about this site. people really belive what they read here so if your gonna post something make sure YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.... and your right ricers cut thier stock progressive rate springs and get alot of negative camber.... think about it, you could put a profesional coil over kit in an import and get negative camber, its all in how you adjust and tune the suspension it has nothing to do with ricers cutting thier springs.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I had no idea the springs he had are linear rate. You're right spinemup. I still wouldn't buy a linear rate spring that had to be cut, but if that's what supposed to happen. Go for it. About the ricers. In any car if you put a smaller spring in and don't adjust the suspension, you will get incorrect camber. That is the way the suspension is designed. It cambers in when the spring is compressed. You could have camber probs on a stang too if you drop it enough. That's what caster/camber plates are for. Am I right?

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 10:41 PM   #6
PONY865.0
Registered Member

hey i know that i can cut them i've raced for 4 years. the only thing is i've always had a person cut them for me. he moved & i need info now on cutting spring & putting in gears, then i can do all my work myself. thanx guys for the info
PONY865.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 09:35 PM   #7
buddha
Registered Member

Your right Spinemup. I have the Moroso springs on the front of my car. I may have already answered this post on another site, but here goes.
You can cut them, however they are'nt supposed to be cut more than 2 full coils if I remember correctly. It really depends on the front weight on your car to determine the amount of coil to remove. I have a stock front end with a steel hood, so I only removed a coil and a 1/4.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote