Thread: NMRA.....???
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001, 07:40 AM   #5
Jeff Chambers

I think you've got a ways to go before you'll be in the low elevens Rick. No offense intended at all, but it takes a helluva lot to propel one of the Mustangs down into the elevens with less than 310 cubes without a power adder. Like Ron says, you've got to start thinking about safety equipment as well. Roll bar (5pt minimum), 5-pt harness, scattershield, billet flywheel, SFI rated clutch & pressure plate, driveshaft loop, long studs (all four corners) are just part of the equation. I think you'll be hard-pressed to get there on the stock bottom end too. These guys are running race motors that are built, balanced, blue-printed, and optimized for racing. I hate to even think what I've got in my motor and I've just managed to break into the elevens! Suspension, there's a whole 'nother story. We're talking spool, 31-spline hardened axles, drag shocks & springs, adjustable control arms, tubular K-members, etc. Also be prepared to gut your car of every luxury, including sound insulators, stereo, etc.

I'm not trying to scare you off. Its great to go out and compete in a heads-up class, but keep your expectations reasonable. Tackle things one-at-a-time, watch and learn from others. Hang in there and keep your end goals in clear focus 'cause its a long trip and takes dedication.

Tom Payne set the Pure Street record at Bowling Green in September. He went an amazing 11.09@122+. You're looking at dropping 1.5 seconds and picking up 14MPH just to get you to last year's position; they'll go even faster this year.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote