MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2000, 07:07 PM   #1
Moxie
Registered Member

Exclamation NMRA Drag Radial Class

If any of you follow the NMRA board, you know that the DR class is facing a questionable future. In 2001, they will probably only have the class at 4 of 8 events, with no contigency. If they don't get a better showing next year, the NMRA is likely to drop it altogether.

Personally, I think this is a real shame. It is the premier radial tire class in Mustang racing, even if attendance by racers has been low. Dwayne Gutridge has gone as fast as 9.34 sec., on drag radials. It is a great way to showcase what a Mustang can do in street legal trim.

If anyone reading this cares at all about radial drag racing, see if you can show up and participate at a race next year. It doesn't matter how you finish, just show up and have fun. They need 16 cars to fill the field. If they don't see that happening, they may eliminate the class after next year. Just my $.02

------------------
Moxie Racing

[This message has been edited by Moxie (edited 11-21-2000).]
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 07:41 AM   #2
jchambers

Yeah, I was following that thread as well. The turnout in 2000 was obviously poor enough to make the NMRA folks give it a second thought. The real question is how do you go about beating the ground enough to get people out to participate in the class. We faced the same dire fate in T/S just a few short years ago and all's it took was for Lee Cooper of ASP to step up and offer some payout. Meager as it was, it was still enough to have people crawling out of the woodwork to race in Trophy Stock. Now we've enjoyed the best two years of T/S racing that the class has ever seen...and 2001 looks even better.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.97 Seconds/114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm
Old 11-22-2000, 09:34 AM   #3
Moxie
Registered Member

Cool

LoL, Jeff, you tellin me I need to find some money and have Moxie Racing offer a Drag Radial payout?

Seriously, do you remember what the payouts were in T/S?

------------------
Moxie Racing
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 05:29 PM   #4
SisuStang

I raced in 4 local races this past year in a drag radial class, & even managed 2nd place twice! We also had poor turnouts of 5 to 7 cars per race.
I thought about going to race at one of the NMRA events, but travelling so far to compete against(or,rather - get blown away 1st round by!) the likes of Big Daddy just didn't sit well with me. Maybe if they had the drag Radial class at the Michigan event (only 5 hrs away), I would have gone. The Columbus event (6hrs away) was too early in the season for me to make it to race.
It would be good if FFW had a drag radial class too! Maybe that would get more people involved & excited about the class.

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

Old 11-27-2000, 07:56 AM   #5
jchambers

Two short years ago, we were racing for nothing more than a plaque for the winner. No money, no year-end cash...and for the winner only...nothing for runner-up. Imagine taking your car 1200 miles to Spring Break Shootout for that! Last year (1999), Lee Cooper stepped up with $200/$100 and the season champion got $1000. At each event there was also the possibility of the winner getting a stroker motor kit or a set of custom pistons in a drawing held among all the class winners. I won a set of custom Probe pistons after winning the Montgomery event. In 2000, the money was raised to $400/$100/$50 plus all the fantastic contingency monies for the various products. The year-end payouts also went down to four places with $4000/$2500/$1500/$1000 which really helped push people to make more events.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.97 Seconds/114.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: