MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-1999, 12:07 PM   #1
H82BBad
Registered Member

Post Norwalk fun ford?GOING DOWNHILL?

Fun Ford has really gone down hill,the payouts are a joke cosidering the money they bring in.this will be our last fun ford event.A friend of ours placed in the final 6 cars of outlaw street and his payout was $0
we placed third in true street and our payout was $0 what a joke,as competetors we need more of a purse (maybe I am getting spoiled by the world ford challenge)but the thing I liked about true street was the fact that street cars would make a 30 mile road trip come back to the track and make 9 second 3 pass averages.this was the cool part.filled the stands every time.now there is no reward for doing well,I mean they give money to the fastest 16 car but the 9 second cars get nothing ! well we were told for placeing 3rd we got the joy of being there!(was fun but it sure doesnt pay for fuel! lets seee in true street they had 127 cars at $50 (65 if you had your wife with you!) for each car that is $6350.00 that they generated in true street alone (8255.00 if everyone brought a spouse or 1 crew member and we all know that most people brought more!) and what did they pay out? $700?wow no wonder the NMRA is taking off!now dont get me wrong ford is going to put big money in some classes next year (mod motor class)but they are turning there backs on the grass roots of the ford movement,US the 5.0 guys the ones that were the bread and butter of ford.Dont get me wrong I think it is great that they give some recognition to slower cars (I used to be one of them)but would I go to the stands to watch a 14 15 or 16 car make 3 runs? NO not my cup of tea,but if thats what ford wants I guess they can do it without my car in this class!our next event that we will go to is the J&P Shootout if you are close to norwalk I sugest you attened this race to see how an event should be run.The J&P team do a top notch job , the track personel are very friendly and J&P understands that racing a fast mustang is not cheap and they inturn make sure that the payouts are fair see you all there Brent & Niki Bird

------------------
1985 Mustang GT,
best et 9.46
best MPH 148
H82BBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-1999, 08:52 PM   #2
David Gagnard
Registered Member

I'm from central Louisiana and the people who put on FFW or from right here in La.There home track is State Capitol Dragway that used to host NHRA and IHRA events. The people who put on FFW live less than one hour from the track. You want to see an event that looks like it was run by a bunch of kids, then you should have seen what they did to us.
They discontinued FFW here in 98 and in 97 they made us run the 1\8 mile. All except the pro 5.0's. They did not tell us until after we all made one time trial, then they announced it and told us there were no refunds after you make a time trial. They knew they were going to do this all along and did not tell anyone until after time trials. We later found out the reason was to speed up things so they could go home early. How do you like that. They even let a couple of guys pass inspection,make a time trial, then changed their minds and said they did not pass and were disqualified and since they made a time trial, they could not get a refund.How's that for treating the racers???
I was in the street stock class and had advanced to the quarter finals out of sixty or so cars (my first time at a drag strip ever),the time was about 8:00pm or dark by then. Then they decided to have a jack pot run and some other non-scheduled runs at a cost of ten dollars per car per run. I spoke to the tech guy and he said our next round would not be until at least 9:30 pm and then the finals another hour later then awards another hour later. He told me if we got outa there for 11:30 pm we would be doing good. I informed him I had driven 2 hours there and by now was alone and was told when I entered that they usually finish by dark and that is when I was expected back not to mention I had to go to work the next day also (Monday). I then asked the official that since I was in the quarter finals the worst I could do was forth, so as I was planning to load up and leave could I please have the forth place trophy. I was told very matter of factly NO WAY. As for as I know they still have the trophy because they told me the only way to get it was to stay for the awards. I explained my situation and then left. I figured they needed the five dollar trophy more than me.

That was my first time at a drag strip and my last at that drag strip with those people. I have since raced twice at another strip farther away and they treat the racers with a little respect and are very nice and truthful to us.
I have read about the fueds going on with FFW and the racers and can see why. My only suggestion is to race else were and under a different sacntioning body.
When we later complained and asked about our treatment they told us they always lost money at that particular race and were cancelling it in the future. This was with a pit area full to the top and likewise in the stands. If they could not make money on that race then they need to find another job. And that's all I have say on that subject.

Been had before;
David 65 Mustang Fastback GT-350

[This message has been edited by David Gagnard (edited 07-20-1999).]
David Gagnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 12:03 AM   #3
namadness
Registered Member

What class are you going to race at J+P? I was at Norwalk and will be going to J+P event.
namadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 12:09 AM   #4
H82BBad
Registered Member

true street and outlaw

------------------
1985 Mustang GT,
best et 9.46
best MPH 148
H82BBad is offline   Reply With Quote