MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-09-2001, 12:07 PM   #1
Ron Brooks
Registered Member

Post HELP! Newbie 95-96 GT questions

Potential first time Mustang owner with some pre-purchase questions. I am not that familiar with the Mustang and have some basic questions between the 95 pushrod and 96 4.6 cars. I do not intend to do a great deal of modification to the car I buy.

So, with that said, is either engine more preferable from a long life or ease of modification point of view? I would assume the 95 car would be cheaper to modify because it has been around longer, but the 4.6 has been around now for some time as well, although much less time.

Second, is there any reason why a 96-97 car might be preferable over a 95 as far as equipment or some other reason, or aside from the engine are they really the same?

Thanks,

Ron Brooks
Ron Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 01:40 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

If you are not going to do a great deal of modification, either the 4.6 or 5.0 would fit the bill nicely...

The 5.0 is reknown for its long life if taken care of, and the 4.6 seems to be going just as good... (besides the "plastic" intake debacle)...

The 5.0 is a bit easier to mod and MUCH cheaper to mod at this point. They've been a standard for so long, some parts are just plain inexpensive nowadays...

The 5.0 engines give you a little more power stock (about 10hp), and have more torque at the bottom end. While the 4.6 is a rev happy motor that lives in the upper rpms...

Both engines respond to mods really well and the modular motors absolutely LOVE boost. Its like a fish taking to water...

In almost all respects 5.0 SN-95s are almost exactly the same as the 4.6s. Same frame, nearly the same suspension setup....

If you're just going to do some light mods, I would say go for the one that looks the best to you.... you'll like either powerplant...

Hope this helps

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
381.8 rwhp 377.6 rwtq

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 07-09-2001).]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote