MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2002, 01:41 AM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Cam Questions

Well it has come to me that all's i'm going to be installing this summer is a full exhaust, (headers to mufflers) and possibly a cam. I've been told that you DO hafto pull the engine to install full length headers, which I am planning to get BBK 1-5/8", and was thinking If i hafto pull the engine might as well stick a cam in it and fix my rear main seal leak. Now, my question is, should I get a cam? Like a B303 or an E303, as someone in my area with one of those, (don't really remeber what he said it was. they sound so alike, B and E..heh) I would assume he had a B303 cam because he said it had just a little more lift then the stock cams. Now he doesn't have anything else done to his, just a cam, and mufflers, and he's getting a pretty mean sound out of it. I was also wondering, if I am to put a cam in my stock motor, what kinda cams are made for stock motors? (simple question eh?) Well, that is if there are any made for stock motors. Thanks Alot guys.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

There's really no need to cam a stock motor.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:06 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I just took a look at you sig. Do you not have gears? I HIGHLY recomend you get a set.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:05 AM   #4
Mustanguy

Quote:
I've been told that you DO hafto pull the engine to install full length headers
Nope,all you need to do is loosen your motor mounts,then jack the motor up using a 2x4 and hydraulic jack,then you will be able to slide the header up from the bottom of the car.

no need for a cam change either
Old 03-17-2002, 09:22 AM   #5
PKRWUD

With stock heads, a cam really isn't worth the time or effort. Small block Fords really work best when you replace the parts together (intake/cam/heads). Save your money and plan it's future. When you reach the required amount, start ordering your parts. You'll be much more satisfied doing it this way.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:33 AM   #6
drudis

A cam is a LOT of work, and on a stock motor, all you'll do is kill bottom end, and the heads are too restrictive to make any tope end power, so basically you wasted your money.

GET GEARS!!! With 3.73's (versus stock) , it'll feel like you added nitrous to the car...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
Rosco
Registered Member

Alright well that does sound great. So no cam for me, that'll all just be next year. I think actually i might end up going with that Systemax II 350 hp kit. It'll probably cost around...$3k which is including all the other parts i'd need like a new fuel pump and injectors and stuff. How hard is it to install things like a throttle body and injectors? Also, is there anything else i can really do other then exhaust and gears? Yeah, i got the Ol stock 2.73's in there, I would think they are the 2.73's becuase 55 at 1500 in 5th gear. Does that sound right for 2.73's? Well i'm trying to get ahold of the kid i bought the car from, becuase he's got 3.55's for the car that he never put in, and he'd give um to me for $100. Which i think is a great deal. By the way are those really hard to install as well? As far as i've been told is i hafto pull the pumpkin off and that's about all
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 03-17-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Rosco
Registered Member

Also, I'm gonna get a cold air intake, fenderwall. Any opinions on what is the best? Oh yeah, would 1.7" RR's be any help at all with my stock motor? I'm not really sure what the heads come with stock RR's.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:44 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The 1.7 roller rockers are fine. Don't expect to pick up much power with them, though. Basically what the rockers do is give a mild cam effect. You don't really need any more cam, but the valvetrain friction will drop.

Gear installtion is left best to a professional, expect the install to run about $200-250.

1500 at 55mph sounds a lot like 2.73's, but I'm assuming you're going by the factory tach, which can be off quite a bit. Best way to tell is jack the car up and have somebody rotate the wheel. 1 Spin on the wheel should be 2.75 revolutions on the driveshaft. In any case, you've most likely got stock gears, 2.73 or 3.08.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Just on a side note, 1.7 rockers actually increase the load in the valvetrain, rather than lessen it. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 03-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #11
Rosco
Registered Member

Well what about the 1.6" RR's? any help at all? I've been told bigger rr's will give you a somewhat better throttle response as well? Any comments?
Old 03-17-2002, 06:06 PM   #12
PKRWUD

1.6 rr's would reduce the load on your valvetrain, and would be a good purchase from a preventative maintenance standpoint. 1.7's will increase the load on your valvetrain, for minimal results. Get a savings account and put the money there. When there's enough, buy ALL the right parts the first time out.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 03-17-2002, 06:15 PM   #13
Rosco
Registered Member

What size RR's are in the stock heads now? I really wish I had a sheet that gave me all these details about just about every part in the freaking car, would help out so much. Actually i've decided that i'm just gonna go with some exhaust this year. Save up and possible get my engine done up for a S/C or possibly the SysteMax II 350 Hp kit. I believe that the exhaust would be a good place to start and stop for this summer. Then next summer, comes the real mods.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:46 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Excellent idea.

The rocker arm ratio for your engine was and is 1.6. Your rockers are stamped steel, and create quite a bit of friction. The rockers we have been referring to are Roller Rockers (RR's). They are designed differently, and haveat their center a roller needle bearing trunion, which virtually eliminates any friction. Most serious engine builders install roller rockers in their engines, and are usually the stock 1.6 ratio. The 1.7 roller rockers have the advantages of being roller (less friction), but because they are longer, they actually create a great deal of load on the valvetrain. Most consider them a poor mans camshaft upgrade, but even that is false, because the lift is the only thing that is really changed.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 03-18-2002, 05:50 AM   #15
PKRWUD

Also, the single best statistical, informative Mustang book available is called "The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 technical Reference & Performance Handbook, 1979 through 1993". It is Ford Racing part #M-1832-Z4, and is also available at most larger book stores. $34.95

Awesome book.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!