MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-1999, 10:50 AM   #1
frankjp
Registered Member

Default Question on Teardowns??

Hi,

I was wondering how much is needed when you are asked to go through a teardown? This would concern Trophy Stock.

I saw that at the WFC(in FFW Race Pages), the pure stock drivers were required to tear down their motors. Can I ask what is involved with this? What is required?

Is it just the intake to check for porting and stuff? Or, as far as removing heads for valve checks or anything?

I ask because if this was required, I don't know if I would be able to do it, I'm a one man team and have done my share of work, but don't have all the tools and such. I'd hate to be thought of as cheating because I didn't want to tear it down when I drive it to events.

Just some thoughts so I can make preparations in case it ever does happen.

Thanks!

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

frankjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-1999, 11:16 AM   #2
jchambers

I think it really depends on whether or not they think you're cheating. They can check a large portion of the rules just by removing the lower intake and valve covers. This gives access to the valve stems (for lift), to the lifters (to make sure they're stock type hydraulics) and to the intake ports (to check gasket matching). The can do the displacement & compression checks from a plug hole. If they think you're cheating on valves and/or porting, you may have to pull a head. Even the lower intake route is a pretty hefty teardown though and will take awhile to get back together. They often say we should carry a full set of gaskets with us just in case. Hmmmmm, I've been meaning to get that extra set for four events now...maybe sometime soon I'll get my butt in gear, lay out the cash, and carry them in my toolbox. Hell, that'd make too much sense.

The best advice I can give is to be completely legal. It's fairly obvious when someone is outright cheating and we'll usually put a bug in someone's ear if we think that's the case.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.60 Seconds/109.0 MPH

Old 05-20-1999, 11:20 AM   #3
jchambers

I will add that you shouldn't let the fear of a tear-down keep you from competing (unless you're cheating of course). There's always plenty of hands, tools and spare parts to be found when the chips are really down. It seems you can always find people more than willing to lend a hand when you really need it.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.60 Seconds/109.0 MPH

Old 05-20-1999, 11:27 AM   #4
frankjp
Registered Member

Jeff,

My fear was, this is my daily driver and I'd hate to get stuck somewhere. And, I do work, but always with my brother who's a mechanic and I lack confidence that I'd miss something too and destroy it. The lower intake coming off is not too bad, I've already got spare gaskets for that.

But, it's nice to know that so many people, and competitors would lend a helping hand, that's somethine I'd probably need

As for cheating, no way, I've made every effort and checked with George on every single thing I've done to make sure. It's not worth it to go to all the trouble, get caught cheating and then carry the reputation from then on.

I just wasn't sure what was involved in a teardown and I do have fears of not being able to get everything done and getting stranded. If I could find somebody willing to tow my car, that would take 99% of that away. I'm working on that now though

Thanks Jeff for all your help, you've answered all my posts and through e-mail. It's this kind of friendliness and help that really makes me want to get out there. My 1st time may only be practice on radials or drag radials but I'm looking forward to having a good time.

Thanks!

------------------
Frank Peterson
94 Cobra T/S #38

frankjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-1999, 11:31 AM   #5
jchambers

[Humbly blushing....]
Thanks Frank. I think you'll find that most of the regulars on the circuit are realy friendly, down to earth folks. I've met some really great people on the circuit and developed some good friendships.

See ya at the track.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.60 Seconds/109.0 MPH

Old 05-24-1999, 02:22 PM   #6
quicklx
Registered Member

I attempted to run Pure Stock at the worst organized event on the planet,,the WFC.We were required to remove the uper intake,a valve cover,two rocker arms,and a spark plug.Piece o cake,Iwas done in fifteen minutes.Im also worried that when I finally make it to an event this year,that they woul want to remove a cylinder head,I would probably have to pass on that one.MY car is finally statring to turn somw good numbers,After 11 runs,ive managed a 12,83@105 mph.Its only going to get faster.

------------------
13.20 stocker
quicklx is offline   Reply With Quote