MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2000, 04:03 PM   #1
over 40 five oh driver
Registered Member

Post Racing equip. specifications...

Trying to educate myself on this subject for future reference, racing, and nice to know stuff. What I can't seem to track down is, what do the terms "Snell 95 rated", or, "SFI 41.2" mean as it relates to safety equipment? In other words, who certifies equipment for drag racing? How is it certified? Against what standard? Been searching the Web and haven't come up with anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

------------------
92' GT, PFT-77MM MAF, FMS 65MM TB, Edelbrock U/L, TFS-TW heads, custom grind cam, FMS A-351 adjustable roller rockers, 30# injectors, Kirban fuel pressure regulator, pullies, Motorsport ceramic coated headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani cat back, Cobra EEC-IV with ADS Superchip, MSD 6AL, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FMS aluminum driveshaft, 3.73's, Factory Five U/L control arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, Steeda Front Drag sway bar, Steeda rear sway bar, Nitto drag radials, cold A/C!
FDavid3088@aol.com
over 40 five oh driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2000, 08:20 PM   #2
jchambers

Good question. Maybe one of our SFI certified safety officials can step up and answer the question.

Snell is the adopted safety testing & approval system for headgear. There are different Snell ratings for automotive AND motorcycle helmets. I think its only updated every five years so Snell 95 is the latest.

SFI is the adopted safety standards for performance equipment adopted by the major drag racing sanctioning bodies. I'm not sure if SFI is adopted by the road racing bodies. But there are different standards for the different components. For example, SFI 18.1 pertains to harmonic balancers and it defines not only the test process but also the acceptance criteria. I'm not sure who/what you'd contact to actually get ahold of the various SFI standards.

Hope I'm not passing along any misinformation. I really know very little about the standards other than its what's called for in the rulebooks.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.40 Seconds/109.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm
Old 02-24-2000, 08:48 PM   #3
over 40 five oh driver
Registered Member

Jeff...Thanks for the reply. I need to get an NHRA rulebook also, but as an Aviation Trained safety officer and accident investigator...Oh yea, Mustang enthusiast, I just always wondered what all the acronyms meant. Who does the testing, how, etc. Hopefully someone else will respond also. BTW, what does TS #4 mean? True Street? Trophy Stock? Thanks again for the reply...later.
over 40 five oh driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2000, 08:56 PM   #4
jchambers

Trophy Stock. Finished fourth in the point standing in 1999. Look for a higher number after the 2000 season....hopefully #1!

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.40 Seconds/109.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: