View Single Post
Old 07-14-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Roll cage install ...a few questions

Jeff (or whoever else can answer this ?),

I checked out your website (very helpful) on the roll cage tech article. I have 4-points successfully TIG welded in, but have the 2 side bars I need to cut and get welded. In your article it seems as if the 6x6x1/8" steel plates are welded to the floor. In the NHRA rulebook it shows the bars welded to the plates and the plates bolted to the floor with a plate on top and bottom of floor (bolted to each other with 4 3/8" bolts). Maybe these are 2 optional paths. The bolt method was the path I chose (I guess), but S&W only gave me 6 plates. If I have to do top and bottom at 6 points on teh floor, then obviously I need 12 plates. A friend of mine is cutting me some more plates to finish the job, but what do you think? I don't see any of this little details in the NHRA book.

So should the plates be welded to the floor (MIG or TIG, if yes). I think I would like to go ahead and get the other plates and continue bolting it all in. I just need some guidance here.

Also, I need to start painting the cage. I saw you used a certain time of frame paint, but did you use any primer and did you do any sanding prior to painting r did you just clean the cage of dirt and spray it?

Thanks.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote