MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-1999, 11:12 PM   #1
StangFlyer
Founder

Lightbulb Rule Changes & Posting Issues

A couple of you brought up valid points recently in the previous threads about adequately posting rule updates and changes so that the racers are better informed. Up until now, no I have not been posting these on the Fun Ford site. The main source for these has been the Fun Ford newsletter, Tire Tracks. Unfortunately, it would seem that from your comments that this is not adequate. In fact, you may not even be hearing about them at all, or at least in a timely fashion.

I just wanted to let everyone know that before the Spring Break Shootout next year, the new FunFord.com site (once it goes online soon) will have a rules update section. Each class will have a 2000 rules listing and it will also have a rules update list. Both the initial rules and the rule update pages will be remotely editable by Fun Ford officials (i.e. Bill and George). Therefore, during the 2000 season, there should be no issues regarding timely reporting of: rules, updates, newsletters, points, results, etc... All these sections will be update able remotely by Fun Ford. In fact, I have already suggested to Bill that he bring his laptop to the events so that they can update these live from the event itself.

Come next year, if there is any delay in timely posting of results or updates, it won't be my fault! Through now, I am guilty as anyone. I have to do updates around my work with both Mustang Works and my professional career. And, the later remains to be demanding.

------------------
Dan McClain, Editor
The Mustang Works Online
1991 Mustang GT - 10.90 @ 122 Mph
Built, Blown, and Fast as Hell!

[This message has been edited by Dan McClain (edited 09-26-1999).]
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 01:30 AM   #2
SR89racer
Registered Member

why have rule changes at all until the next year . once the rules are set for the year dont have any changes allowed until the following year that will solve all the proiblems then and everyone will be compettitive all year and no i didnt get that rule change. thats my opinion but like they say there like you know everyone has one. so maybe you should think about that dont have any rule changes during the season.
SR89racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 02:34 AM   #3
JCSTANG
Registered Member

In a class as sensitive as S/R, this wouldn't last. Because people that thought they are being too restricted would not race the remainder of the season if they knew they couldn't compete. And they would be in here complaining about all day too. S/R is getting worse the NASCAR, when it comes to rules changes. This class is only 2 seasons old and already needs a rules overhaul.

------------------

http://www.inergy.com/jcstang
JCSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 03:03 AM   #4
StangFlyer
Founder

Having no rule changes through the year would be ideal for the racers, but I don't know if that is completely possible. But, again, that's not up to me... Man, I just run the web site...

------------------
Dan McClain, Editor
The Mustang Works Online
1991 Mustang GT - 10.90 @ 122 Mph
Built, Blown, and Fast as Hell!
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-1999, 12:29 PM   #5
George Klass
Registered Member

There are two important issues here. First, if the rules established at the beginning of the year alway allowed equitable and even competition, there would not be a reason to change. Unfortunately, we are not always correct in defining that, particularly when the class rules allow many different types of power adders. And second, new equipment is released by manufacturers during the year that is basically the same as earlier "approved" equipment. The Trick Flow Track Heat intake comes to mind. I don't consider these up-dated lists to be changes to the class rules. Some may. This is a high tech class. We want the racers to be able to add new epuipment as it is available (and so do our sponsors), as long as it does not offer a competitive advantage over the existing equipment. I'm sure that companies that sell computer up-grades are always refining and expanding the capabilities of their products. Truth is, we wouldn't even know if they did.
In looking over the 1999 S/R rules and the so called changes printed in the 5.0 Tire Tracks newsletters, this is what I see.

ADD: Dual inlet T/B dimension (Mod Motor only).

CHANGE: Multi stage nitrous systems permitted (to try and permit nitrous cars to be competitive with the blower cars, and so far they are still not)

CHANGE: Edelbrock Victor RPM to Performer RPM (misprint correction, not a change)

ADD: Trick Flow Track Heat intake (a fairly inexpensive replacement for the GT-40)

ADD: ATI D1 supercharger (this may have been a mistake but it's too late now)

ADD: Vortech T-Trim (To keep up with the D1 and the NOVI) The jury is still out on this one.

The purpose to these additions or corrections or changes is to KEEP COMPETITION EVEN. This is a new class, not even 2 years old. Like any class rules, they take a little time to dial in. If you don't fine tune it, only 1 combination will ever win, and there goes the class. Our rules "changes" in S/R have been minimal. Compare this with the full pages of NHRA Rules changes printed everyweek in National Dragster. In fact, their Competition Eliminator classes have a change virtually EVERYWEEK (index adjustments). It's all done for the same reason, to try and keep competition even. Let's get off this "rule changes in S/R per week" stuff. It just hasn't happened. The racers who actually participate in S/R have mostly been in favor of these changes and certanly have not been complaining to me about them. Nobody who is presently running a blower has complained to me about the new nitrous rules. Nobody who is running either a NOVI or a D1 has complained to me about the T-Trim (yet). I have seen complaints, however they all come from people who are not racing in the class. These people must have a different adjenda. If "change" to them is that threatning, there are always the bracket classes. ( I know, I know, I'm just an a**hole. My purpose in life is to just be a needler, but it's my nature)

One other thing that has been on my mind. Racing orginazations such as FFW, NMRA, WFC, etc. are a venue for enthusiasts to race their cars or sell their products. But it's a 2-way street. If all you want to do is race your car and try to win som $$, that's fine. If all you want to do is to promote your products at these events for your own gain, that's fine too. But remember, you have to give something back and I don't mean the entrance fee at the gate. If racers and/or suppliers have critisism or ideas that can make for a better organization and present them in a constructive manner, you will find that organizations listen. If all you do is yell and complain, most adults will turn off. If all you ever do is "take", you become known as a "taker". Try giving some support instead of complaints. Most of the racers who travel to the events, pay their $$ at the gate, race their cars, win or lose, are winners, to me. They rarely complain. Even if it's too hot, even if it rains, they are not complaining. They came to race. They want to race. These racers are "givers" not "takers" and my hat is off to them.
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-1999, 12:40 PM   #6
Chris Wesley
Registered Member

George,
Where was that 4" exhaust change again?
Chris Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote