MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2000, 01:49 PM   #1
fiveoboy01

Post Scattershield ques?

My friend has a lakewood scattershield that he will sell to me for cheap. It has never been used but it is a couple years old. Don't they have to be recertified after a certain amount of time? Also he said he's gonna sandblast it and paint it; this leads me to believe there might be some rust on it.
Will the age and the sandblasting weaken it?

Also, I was looking through Jeg's and saw a scatter blanket made by RCI for only 90 bucks. It measures 50" by 12" and has 3 straps the length of it to hold it on. The blanket is SFI approved, but can I use it in a 5-speed application, or is it only legal for an auto? Also it should contain an exploding clutch right? I don't want to lose my feet.

------------------
1988 MUSTANG GT Full exhaust, Edelbrock intake, Accel, pullies, K&N, Eibach drag springs, subframes, 3.55s
13.12/102/1.80 at Byron Raceway
Old 02-15-2000, 05:27 PM   #2
jchambers

If it was certified, then it wouldn't need to be recertified after time. However, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Lakewood bellhousings are not SFI Certified, merely SFI approved. This is kind of misleading, but I don't think they actually meet the SFI testing. The SFI testing requires that the bellhousing be able to contain all fragments which the LW can't do because of the starter opening. The SFI testing is actually done without the starter in place. Seems kind of weird, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works. Tech officials generally won't give you a hard time about this though since the LW is better than the cast aluminum BH. At any rate, sandblasting won't affect the strength. When repainting, I'd repaint it the same red color since this is how the officials identify it without crawling under the car to look for the sticker. Also try to preserve the sticker if possible. A blanket is not legal for manual transmission use, only for automatics. Also, if you're truly trying to meet the SFI requirements and you're below that 11.99 barrier, you'll also need a billet SFI flywheel and SFI rated clutch assembly. The SFI rated clutches are few (McCleod and Ram are two I know of).

Good luck.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.40 Seconds/109.5 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm
Old 02-15-2000, 05:27 PM   #3
Beni
Registered Member

unlike other things, I dont think the scattershield can be recertified...most street machines get good deals on the Lakewood from racers who had to replace there because of the expiration...
Beni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 06:32 PM   #4
Beni
Registered Member

looks like Jeff and I posted at the same time...hate when that happens...anyways, good info here..
Beni is offline   Reply With Quote