MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2001, 08:39 PM   #1
New Breed
Registered Member

Question shifting point? 92 GT

hey i was wondering if anyone knew the best time (rpms) to shift at when racing on a 92 GT? where should i shift to get the most power? i did a search and couldnt find anything, thanks for any help.
New Breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 06:06 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Shift points are dependent on a whole bunch of parameters to really get it right; gearing (both trans and rear), horsepower and torque, to name the most important. The best 1-2 shift may not be the best 2-3 or 3-4 point either. It really helps to have the HP & TQ curves for your car so that you know where they're peak and how broad a band they have. This is why you'll hear people throw out 5500 for a stock 5.0, 'cause it start loosing power pretty quickly above 5500 due to the intake restrictions. I've got an extensive write up on my website concerning shift points that would probably help you understand it a little further. But in the absence of the absolute numbers (even with them for that matter), I'd say experiment. Start out shifting at 5000 and move it up a little with each subsequent pass downtrack. Compare your timeslips and look at not only the final ET/MPH, but also through the 330 and 1/8th mile. You should be able to see trends on how quickly the car is accelerating and where it starts to fall off. Try your best to make consistent comparisons. It really helps if you get a log book and record every run, weather conditions, tire pressures, etc. Then you can make informed decisions on what works best for your car and driving style.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 06:47 AM   #3
New Breed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff chambers:
Shift points are dependent on a whole bunch of parameters to really get it right; gearing (both trans and rear), horsepower and torque, to name the most important. The best 1-2 shift may not be the best 2-3 or 3-4 point either. It really helps to have the HP & TQ curves for your car so that you know where they're peak and how broad a band they have. This is why you'll hear people throw out 5500 for a stock 5.0, 'cause it start loosing power pretty quickly above 5500 due to the intake restrictions. I've got an extensive write up on my website concerning shift points that would probably help you understand it a little further. But in the absence of the absolute numbers (even with them for that matter), I'd say experiment. Start out shifting at 5000 and move it up a little with each subsequent pass downtrack. Compare your timeslips and look at not only the final ET/MPH, but also through the 330 and 1/8th mile. You should be able to see trends on how quickly the car is accelerating and where it starts to fall off. Try your best to make consistent comparisons. It really helps if you get a log book and record every run, weather conditions, tire pressures, etc. Then you can make informed decisions on what works best for your car and driving style.
thanks, thats a very helpful post.

New Breed is offline   Reply With Quote