MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2001, 07:08 PM   #1
sir_chubbsalot
Registered Member

Unhappy Help Please

I frequently have trouble getting into second gear when i'm racing, what could be the problem? no matter how hard i push the clutch pedal to the floor or how hard i pull back on the shifter, the damn thing just won't go in!
sir_chubbsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:24 AM   #2
84stangLX

Yeah, mine does that too sometimes....i jam it in and it makes a slight grinding noise and chirps the tire (usually chirps second anyways, but this is like it's locking up). My three guesses are either worn synchros, low fluid level, or stretched clutch cable/something to do with releasing the clutch...i'm pretty sure my tranny is just junked because it has 150k on it so i don't care... On your car I'm more leaning toward the clutch cable thing because i've heard that clutch cables on mustangs/clutch quadrants for adjustments suck, that's why there's aftermarket clutch quadrant/cable kits. Several members on this board have had similar complaints and buying the clutch quadrant kit fixed it...can't think of much else to say, i really don't know all that much about trannies. good luck
Old 06-16-2001, 06:18 PM   #3
9SecLX
Registered Member

Did you try pulling up on the clutch pedal to adjust it? Aftermarket quadrants are better but I have never had any problems with the stock ones.

------------------
88 LX Notch - 302(out of 86 crown Vic- converted to HO), stock cam, ported stock heads, 76mm C&L mass air, 70mm Mac tb and EGR, Victor 5.0 intake(yeah I know it's killing my low end torque ), Walbro 190lph intank fuel pump, 24lb injectors, Flow Tech long tube headers, offroad H-pipe, Flowmasters, Compucar NOS kit with 125 shot pill, Aod with Art Car shift kit, FMS 430 gears, 28x10.5 M/T Sportman Pro rears(soon to be on 9" Weld Draglites), Kumho fronts on 4" Weld Draglites.
http://www.indi
9SecLX is offline   Reply With Quote