MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-1999, 04:21 PM   #1
Kevin McMullin
Registered Member

Post SR Cordova "Protest"

(Clipped from Email by George Klass)

"...Now let me ask you something about the 4" exhaust. Were you running in that class? Did Kurgan's car beat you? Have you run in S/R and get beat by a car with a 4" exhaust? If you were concerned about it AND IF YOU EVER COMPETE, why don't you protest it? Yes, Kurgan's car had a single 4" pipe. And yes, you won't see it again. Stop whinning about it. You were not involved...."

Well, I have tried to stay out of this little debate as long as possible. I was racing at Cordova in SR. I was into the semifinal round of 4 cars before it had started to rain. Looking at the ladder in all probabilty I was going to face Kurgan in the finals. I asked you at the FFW trailer just after the TS awards were given out for a "rule clarifcation" on 4" exhaust. You stated its legal and has been all year. I asked you to show me in the rulebook where it states that and you said it wasn't in there. I asked you to point it out in a Tire Tracks or any other media guide where it says its legal, you said you couldn't.

I am not into knocking FFW, the rules or individuals, especially Bob Kurgan. I am good friends with him actually. Was the 4" exhaust the edge he needed to beat me in the finals? Heck no. His car is half a second faster than mine if I am having a "good day". Its just the principle that had I wanted to protest Bob I would have lost it because the rules didn't mention anything about single exhaust size. This was my first good showing in a FFW event and I am saddened that it is surrounded in controversy. Did I want to win the event, hell yeh...but not that way.

I guess it should also be said that I am very good friends with both the Wesley brothers. Mike and Chris have been an invaluable help in getting my car to the perforance level that it is at. So I guess they were fighting for me in a way.

How to resolve the problem, that I don't know. Dan McClain (who I also am friends with) can only do so much by updating the site when he has spare time. But more frequent site/rule updates won't solve it, not all racers have internet access. Tire Tracks is a good idea, but I have to be honest, I don't always seem to receive mine either. So what can we do to avoid this problem in the future? I don't know. Maybe a 800 number for rule changes and event updates w/ an automated service. For example, "press 1 for Pro 5.0"..."The following are the rule changes for Pro 5.0 as of such and such a date....we will now be requiring 25.1c chassis's for any cars going over 170". I don't know, it's just a suggestion.

Well, hopefully all the parties involved can bury the hatchet before the season finale in Ennis. My understanding is that Chris's car will be there to run in the SR class. I wish him the best of luck as I do Bob and all the other racers. Unfortunatly, that track is just too far for me to travel to from Detroit, so I won't be attending.

I think thats about it for now. Replys and feedback are welcomed.

Kevin McMullin - SR/33 www.atomic-banana.com

Kevin McMullin is offline   Reply With Quote