MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-13-2001, 03:07 AM   #1
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Post What Super Charger to get?

Okay, i've been looking around for a supercharger to put on my car. At first I was going to get something cheaper like a Powerdyne or A-Trim and use the money saved to get other stuff but then I'm also thinking, I've saved this much I might as well save a little more and get something better. I was looking at a ProCharger P-1Sc Intercooled, which looks pretty cool, but I don't know how difficult the intercooler installation would be (I want to do this myself). Someone at work said the Powerdyne is sh!t, that he helped his friend install one and wasn't impressed. Well he's getting Incon twin turbo's but all that plumbing work seems like alot. As for boost, I'm not looking to make more than 9#'s or so. I also didn't want to tap a hole in the oil pan and would PREFER a self contained SC but I could probably be talked into tapping the oil pan What should I do?
THX

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:48 PM   #2
StreetStang37
Registered Member

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
Old 08-14-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I'm running the six pound powerdyne on my stang and I love it. It's a very simplistic design being internally belt driven. The belt will break eventually and you will have to replace it. It costs about $60 for the belt. I've changed one myself it's fairly easy. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Vortech A-trim. It's inexpensive and it's a very reliable blower for about $1900. Tapping the pan is no big deal. The A-trim is also easily upgraded to 10#'s with readily available pulleys. Six pounds is plenty for stock heads and intake. If you open up the heads and intake you're going to make some serious power. With good heads and intake and matched camshaft, you could probably make about 450 horses with that A-trim. That's plenty for most mustangs. It probably flows around 900 cubic feet per minute. They also sound bad!!

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 01:29 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

I had the A-trim and loved it. There is allot of people on the corral that are having problems with the p-1sc. There blowers are leaking oil, and they are getting the runaround from ATI. If you want to stay around 9#'s I would go with the Kenny Bell. I think it would make the ultimate blower for the street.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:33 PM   #5
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Maybe the A-Trim then. How diffivult is the installation for a Kenny Bell? I can probably get heads with the money saved. I'll still be looking around though, it's not like I have to have one by the end of the week, the mod money piggy bank will just keep growing then Thanks for the replies and other future replies and opinions are appreciated.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & 2 1/2 in. Flowmaster Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Nitto DragRadial, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
Old 08-14-2001, 01:42 PM   #6
bada$$lx

Cool

I've always heard good things about ATI's products, I haven't heard about them leaking oil. I also haven't heard anything bad ever said about anyone who's running a Kenne Bell Blowzilla (they see to be one of, if not the best blowers for street racers).

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 08-15-2001, 12:06 AM   #7
MDM
Registered Member

For the price, the a-trim is a hard to beat. I run an s-trim with AFM pipe. My dealings with Vortech have all been positive. They make a good product and stand behind it. I have not heard much about the P1sc, but the 600b is a time tested unit and the ATI air to air intercooler setup is simplistic and functional. You are now likely over the $3k range, though. An s-trim will run you a little less, but that is without the cooler.

[This message has been edited by MDM (edited 08-15-2001).]
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:57 AM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

i know the A trims are loud...but what do the S trims sound like..do they whistle loud as well....i like that sound

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF,Accufab 70mm TB,TFS street heat intake

Waiting install:Nothing

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 05:20 PM   #9
smokedchevy
Registered Member

I'd keep the boost low till you get experienced with a supercharger combo. You can only shove so much air through a restricted engine. I almost toasted a cobra with a 14# ATI, edelbrock heads and an overcammed engine. All I have is a 6# blower with nice exhaust and 4:10 gears. Point is,start with the six pound system. Run your car then document it. Then tune and tweak everything till you get it to run the highest mph. Then try the larger throttle bodies, MAF meters, and injectors, so forth... One thing at a time. Then when that thing runs the best, and it's tuned perfect, try more boost. You'd be surprised how much power the base kit will give you. And don't worry, the A-trim is plenty loud.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 09:23 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Kenne Bell blower is self contained. It takes the place of the upper intake plenum. I know it is availible for the stock lower, and the GT-40 lower, so I would highly recommend upgrading to the GT-40/Cobra/Explorer lower manifold.

A Kenne Bell 6psi kit should run you under $2,000. They are upgradeable to the 8psi kit later if I remember correctly.

The Kenne Bell is a quiet blower, you really won't hear it, and neither will the LS1 in your rear view mirror, since it's a positive displacement unit, you'll make gobs of lower rpm power. Expect max boost at under 2000rpm from the Bell.

As far as installation, it's supposedly the easiest blower to install. If I was going to do a supercharger, it's what I would want.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 09:52 PM   #11
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Im thinking about the 8# S-Trim. Hmmm, maybe I'll order it next friday if I don't change my mind by then.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & 2 1/2 in. Flowmaster Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Nitto DragRadial, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
Old 08-19-2001, 09:40 AM   #12
Nutty 5.0
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The S would be alot better over the A. I went through this last winter and after doing tons of searches and asking lots of people around me with blowers, I went with the S. The A is good, but most people that had one had it upgraded to and S anyway. It costs more over time to do it that way, plus the S trim gives you all the extras:T-Rex, bypass valve, boost retard. It rarely has problems, and can easily be made to run harder also with pulley swaps. I was ecstatic to find out how much power I made doing nothing to the car othere than the blower. Granted, I had intake, heads cam, etc, but all my parts are box stock bolt ons.

I strongly suggest setting money aside for: 36 lbs injectors or larger(Esp if getting heads/cam soon if not already) an 80 mm mass air (LaRocca says this size helps add a pound of boost or two), and a professional dyno tune. Trust me on this, I blew my head gaskets after a few weeks. It is good piece of mind and keeps breakage to a minimum.

Done with the Vortech advertisement, lol!

------------------
See my car HERE
93 GT Red/Grey
S trim, Edelbrock 6037 heads, E cam, BBK longtubes w/cats, 3 chamber Flowmasters, Cobra intake, Kirban fuel regulator, BBK 70mm t.b., 75mm Pro-M meter, 1.7 roller rockers, Mac upper and lower strut tower braces, FMS lowering springs, Factory Five upper and lower control arms, Speedware Cobra R 17X9 wheels, 3.73 gears & more.
DYNO=435.6 hp/405.1 tq at rear wheels.
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote