MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2002, 03:19 AM   #1
WILDTHANG
Registered Member

Question Suspension Mods Input Needed !!!!

I have an 02 GT convert and I want to lower the car and correct the suspension geometry. I am no going to race the car, but I want to drive it the way it is meant to be driven (with total control). It seems to me that lowering performance springs aren't the way to go. So I have been looking at new tubular K-members, coil overs, caster/camber plates, bumpsteer kit, etc. and for the rear, new lower control arms, torque arm, panhard rod, etc. Is this my only choice for suspension correction and if so, who has experience with what company's products (good & bad please)? I've heard good things about Griggs (2nd hand), 4000 bucks seems a little steep, when their are other companies out there advertising the same products for half the price (aside from struts/shocks). Which brings me to my next question, who makes good struts/shocks that perform and last? Also, How do you figure out the best spring rate for coil overs, is there some rule of thumb? Too many places pushing products, I just want it right the first time.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
wade73
Registered Member

i would start with the steeda g trac 1 package...good price...i have been really happy with mine. i am more interested in going fast in turns rather than just going fast straight. since i had it installed, the car does feel much more stable than stock, and it "lets go" much smoother than before. it also takes away a good deal of the understeer that ford engineered in to it. mustangs tend to just plow when driven hard, which is neither fun nor the fastest way thru a turn. now the rear end is more apt to come around, but in a controlled way (hence faster thru a turn). i can pretty much steer the car with the throttle now. it lowered the car about an inch, which changed the whole look of the car for the better. now if i can just get those 17 or 18 inch wheels...

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:42 AM   #3
Mattk1128
Registered Member

Default Cool

So are you saying that your car isn't as prone to fishtailing and going round and round anymore? If so, screw a paintjob! I "try" to go fast through corners with stock suspension and it sucks. I have front and rear strut tower braces now, but they don't really do anything at all. I was looking at Steedas 5-link rear suspension, but it carries a pretty heavy price tag!
JBA Headers&FRPP SVO sidepipes
Superchip
17x9 Chrome Plated Cobra R
Michelin Pilot Sport Tires
Mustang Spyder Kit
K&N Air Filtercharger
Pioneer Premiere Faceplate
2-Pioneer 200watt 4-way amps
4-Pioneer 5x8 main speakers
2- Pioneer 10"subs
Battery Relocation Kit
Street Glow Red Underbody Neon Kit
Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Xenon Aero Side Scoops
COMING SOON::TNT nitrous system!!
Liscense Plate=IGO FAST
--And what a kick *** ride!
Totaled June 7th 2002
Looking For 94-98 GT Convert...
Mattk1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
wade73
Registered Member

mine never has been really prone to fishtailing. so much understeer was built into the car from the factory. i have a little wider tires on the car (245 vs 225), but i never really thought that would matter. the 4.6 doesnt generate enough power at low rpms for the ***** end to come around at too much slow speeds. the steeda just makes the car more balanced: it removes 70 percent of the understeer that i hate so much. the steeda g trac 1 is something like 600.00 bucks and well worth it. you would have to buy the stage 1 before or at the same time that you bought the 5 link anyway, i think.

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:02 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

It all depends on how much performance you want and how much you can spend. A lot of people are happy just going the OEM-style component route with chassis stiffening, stiffer springs in the stock positions, better damping, and stiffer sway bars. This route reduces the factory understeer and body roll and is much better for spirited driving.
If you want ultimate performance, you will have to go further with tubular k-member, coilovers, non-stock geometry, and a panhard bar/torque arm or 5-link rear suspension.
Whatever you decide to do, if you can't buy everything at once, make sure you buy components that are compatible with the things you plan to add in the future.
I like Griggs Racing and Maximum Motorsports suspension parts. I've also had some good luck with Steeda.
As for selecting the appropriate spring and damping rates, just call the guys at one of these companies and tell them what you want to do with the car and how you plan to use it.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:06 PM   #6
RIpony
Registered Member

Take a good look at Maximum Motorsports Coil over kits with CC plates and Bilstein shocks. Expensive but very high quality. The CO's provide for infinitely adjustable ride height, great cornering and handling. Factory guys will set up spring weights based on yr car. Mine took 325's in front and 250 lb. in rear for firm street ride. High quality--a bit sloppy in shipping all the components, but they corrected the problem immediately.
RIpony is offline   Reply With Quote