MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Suspension mods

I know next to nothing about suspension mods and would like some suggestions. I want to lower it 3/4-1inch with loweing springs and probably get some subframe connections. Like I've heard of coilovers, don't know anything about those. I was also thinking of doing my shocks and struts. What else can I do? Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

lowering your car, especially with higher rate springs(stiffer) will overwork the stock struts and put them to rest fast. It is normally suggested to add a quality set of shocks and struts while you have the suspension down. Everybody has there own opinion about it so I'll let the other guys suggest the brands and argue the value of which brands.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It all depends on what you want to do with your car. I assume since you want to lower it you are more interested in taking the corners??

If so...
There are a few different ways to go about this, all ranging in price as well as performance. I would suggest you call Holcomb Motorsports, Summit, Jeggs, or one of the other performance parts stores and order a book called "Mustang Performance Handbook 2". It covers all the different suspension setups, and even has a lot of blueprints to fabricate your own components. A MUST HAVE!!!

Here's a rundown of a couple ways to go about modding your suspension...

1. Conservative Approach
This setup will improve your handling drastically, and not make you need a second mortgage...
- Buy a set of Koni (my preference), Bilstein, or Tokico adjustable struts and shocks.
- Get a set of good specific rate springs like Eibach, or Ford C springs.
- Caster/Camber plates are a must have item, especially when you lower your car. Maximum Motorsports makes some really nice ones - www.maximummotorsports.com
- While you have the suspension out you might as well replace the spring isolators with Energy Suspension poly isolators.
- If funds permit, while you are in there, replace all the factory rubber control arm and sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension Poly bushings.

2. The Insane Approach
Call www.griggsracing.com or www.maximummotorsports.com
They make all kinds of suspension goodies like torque arm setups for the rear, coil over kits, panhard bars, tubular K-members and control arms, etc. With a Griggs setup they claim your Stang will out-handle a Viper! I have some Griggs stuff for mine, and can say it is all high quality stuff! When you ask people which company is better [Griggs or MM] it seems both companies get an equally positive response. But if you decide to go all out with either of these companies have a very deep wallet handy.

Good Luck!

(and don't forget to buy that book)
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote