MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Angry Just failed Emissions test!

As you can see my Engine is pretty stock. I had replaced the ripped up Thermactor air tubes, seems like I have the only stang around with that stuff working still!

During last summer etc, got an Accell Cap/Rotor FMS 9mm wires, new motorcraft plugs, new Motorcraft PCV, K&N filter. Have ran lots of injector cleaner, and when changing the valve cover gaskets, I totally cleaned out the upper intake, TB and idle compensator valve, and sprayed down the lower intake runners.

As the car was on the Dyno, ( Mass has the evil dyno test!!) I realized I never changed the O2 sensors since I was going to wait till the long tubes went in. I heard the tech going through several cycles, not good hmm

Of it comes, I failed the HC portion, got 2.77 PPM, 2.0 max Mass does a real time test and there was a spike at higer speed that kept coming up. The CO and NOX were in range but near the top.

I have 125K on the motor and O2 sensors, so this seems like a no brainer, but yuck what if I had more mods!! This seems like a pretty tough test. I may not pass even with long tubes and a cat pipe?!?! I do have 2 years till the next test, was planning on a offroad X pipe till then.

Any other tricks or tips, I figure on cleaning out the TB again, change out the 02's new plugs and fresh oil. Maybe a new PCV and screen ( did not swap out the screen last time) Can't imagine I need a new cap/rotor already. Timing is at 8° and 87 octane

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
Blue Beast
Registered Member

Are you going through State inspection or are you going to your local garage? One trick I know works pretty well is to turn the AC (if you have it) on full blast and test it then. Other than gas additives that's all I really got for ya. Hope it helps...
Midnight Blue 89 GT... 306... ported and polished aluminum GT40's, MAC Long tubes, MAC power pipe, Flowmaster 2 1/2 cat back, GT40 intake with ported upper and lower, B-Cam, 24lb injectors, 77mm Mass Air, 65mm TB. World Class T5, 3.73's, Centerforce Dual Friction, FRP aluminum radiator, Victor Jr water pump, Pro 5.0 shifter, Crane adjustable FPR, 255lph fuel pump
Blue Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
mustang17
Registered Member

Damn, I would have never passed! We do get killed with that new dyno test. I had an odd year car, so I didn't have to do it last year, thank God. My car ran so rich, I would have never passed.I'm glad I sold my car before going through that.

Looks like you've got 60 days, hope you fix it. Hope it's just the 02's.

By the way, I have a set of 95 E7 heads with 17,000 miles on them. They are FREE, I must get rid of them! All my old mustang junk is getting out of control. No one wants to pay $100 for shipping when there worth half that. So, if you want them or any other parts I may dig up, let me know.

NEW! Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Red/Black. Kleemann boost increase on the way!
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Dude Cool! I can probably throw a rock and hit your house from mine!

Send me an Email offline, I am planning to learn how to port heads for my Rat motor project, maybe I'll hack on those E-7's too More goodies is always cool!

I was reading the printout more carefully, the HC spike is during the decell section of the test. On the way up to 30 mph it's ok but got close in first gear, but when it slows down it spikes up. Also the specs are GPM assume grams per mile not ppm. The CO max was 25.64 GPM with 30 the limit, NOX was 2.76 GPM with 3.0 max The NOX graph looks pretty tight, mostly on the speedup section. The CO shows 3 spikes looks like the shift points since they got the car up to 3rd only.

My former POS FWD Lumina barely squeeked by in the old ldle test but passed this test easily even with 190K on the motor??? Why is that fair??

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote