MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-18-2000, 11:27 AM   #1
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Question tire shake

When I went to the track a had I bid problem with tire shake on the burnout. What is the cause of this and how can I fix it?
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2000, 10:25 AM   #2
jchambers

Did it feel like tire shake due to imbalance or was it more of a wheel-hop? If you're running a rim like the Weld Draglite, its tough to balance them on an ordinary spin balancer. The Welds need to be torqued so that the three pieces draw together tight. Weld recommends balancing them while mounted on the car if you can find anybody around that still does that. I run mine unbalanced and really don't notice it much until the big end of the track. If it was wheel-hop that you were experiencing, then you need to work on the suspension. With a '69 and its leaf springs, you're going to need some sort of traction/slapper bar to overcome the wheel-hop. You'll have to adjust the slapper clearance as well as pinion angle to get the most out of them. Another possibility would be driveshaft imbalance.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.07 Seconds/112.6 MPH
http://www.kellnet.com/chambers/default.htm
Old 03-20-2000, 05:22 PM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I am not sure what kind of rims the slick are on but they are not balanced. What happened on the burnt out was the whole car would shake violently. I have the southside lifter bars as tracktion devices. Also when I took the slicks off there was a grove down the middle of them do u know what this means? thanks for the help I will check into all the possabilites.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT soon to change.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2000, 07:29 PM   #4
Mad Horse
Registered Member

If the whole car is shaking it sounds like wheel hop. Like Chambers said the only thing you can do for that is upgrade your suspension. I would also try messing with different tire pressure in your rear wheels to see if you could lessen it in the meantime.
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 12:13 AM   #5
RNHPERFORMANCE
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Tire pressure is more for the reaction at the launch. I run WELD's with 26x10.5 slicks without any balancing at all and without any trouble. Kind of hard to keep a slick in balance if you are going to burn the living sh_t out of it. Make sure you go deep into the water box and quickly spin the tires to get them totally wet before coming out and staging your burnout. It sounds like you are doing a dry tire burnout. If your pressure is to low and the tires are dry you will get alot of wheel hop. Hoped this helped.
RNHPERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: