Thread: Tree Time
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #12
11 Second Cobra
Registered Member

For what it's worth, our track is open more dates during racing season then any other in the United States. We are one of the oldest continuously operating dragstrips in the USA, if not the world. I have worked the tower 5 days per week from april to november, I know a little bit about the sport. We have classes where there are NO delay boxes, timers, throttle stops, or electronics of any kind. We start racing in the morning and run until midnight.
The consistant winners use simulators.

I have a much better perspective then you do, unless you've operated a Compulink system over and over and over and seen tens of thousands of dragstrip passes. I see what EVERY car does- from burnout technique to stage to reaction. I base my opinions on extensive real time experience. In once single evening, we record up to 1,000 passes on the Compulink system. Multiply that by the number of dates we are open and would not be an exaggeration to state that I have seen over 100,000 passes in just ONE season.

I have beaten some of the best bracket racers in the USA on "off nights" when we have trophy racing, where, with a stick shift and radial tires, I have tripped the win light against a car with automatic trans, slicks, and full electronics that runs dead-on its dial-in. I won the Fun Ford Street Class Event at GLD in 1997 with a manual trans and STREET radials, simply because I can cut good lights. I won the final round by .001 by cutting a perfect light, and the other car ran exactly on his dial-in, but it didn't matter, because of the difference on the tree.

It's not a big deal- If you don't believe that these devices make a difference, then don't use them. Perhaps you should take a look at those timeslips I posted; .501 .501 .500 on three successive passes... No, I don't know what I'm talking about, do I?
As I said, I've seen "professional" bracket racers that go a whole season and don't do that even once, much less three times in a row on one date. And I've also seen drivers who can do that at will... They are the ones with a practice tree...
11 Second Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote