MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-1999, 05:41 AM   #1
FUTURE TRUE STREET
Registered Member

Default TRUE STREET

SINCE NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO TALK ABOUT FFW I'LL GET IT STARTED. ANY OPINIONS ON THE INFLUX OF SERIOUSLY FAST CARS(8 SEC.) IN TRUE STREET?
FUTURE TRUE STREET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 11:06 AM   #2
StangFlyer
Founder

YES, I'll be more than happy to state that I feel the cars in "True Street" are hardly that. The rules are so wide open that you can almost race anything, and that means that it will be dominated by all-out race cars. We all know an 8-second Mustang can't be daily driven, and in my mind, a true "Street" car can be.

------------------
Dan McClain, Editor
The Mustang Works Online
1991 Mustang GT - 10.90 @ 122 Mph
Built, Blown, and Fast as Hell!

StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 01:09 PM   #3
JCSTANG
Registered Member

I agree about 8sec cars not being daily drivable. Perhaps if they made the cruises 50 miles again and have about 5 of those miles in congested traffic(or real slow). I don't mean for them go throu big city rush hour traffic. That would be a heck of a mess.

------------------

http://www.inergy.com/jcstang
JCSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 03:25 PM   #4
FASTFRANK
Registered Member

I'M NOT SURE OF ALL THE RULES, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THOSE FAST CARS ARE WHAT PEOPLE COME TO WATCH. I GO TO ENGLISHTOWN QUITE OFTEN AND LOVE TO WATCH ALL KINDS OF MUSTANGS RUN BUT THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE 8 SECOND CARS. THE FAST CARS DRAW THE MONEY TO THESE TRACKS AND THAT'S WHAT KEEPS THESE SORT OF EVENTS GOING FOR THE REST OF US WHO CAN ONLY AFFORD TO RUN IN THE 11'S 12'S OR WHATEVER. I DO FEEL THEY SHOULD MAKE THE RULES SO THAT THEY CAN'T BE STRETCHED, BUT IF THERE IS A RULE CHANGE THERE WILL BE SOMEONE WHO FINDS A WAY AROUND IT. THAT'S WHAT MAKES COMPETITION.

------------------
92 LX SUPERCHARGED,TFS,GT-40,3.73,12.6@113
FASTFRANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 05:36 PM   #5
Luvmi93
Registered Member

FastFrank, I too love to watch the fast 8 sec cars, but they have catagories that they can race in without intruding into the True Street. I would love to race my Stang True Street, its daily driven with only mild mods, but with those faster cars being allowed to monopolize the catagory, I don't even bother. They really need to narrow down the rules for the different races. I mean they have Super Street too, don't they!
Luvmi93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 05:39 PM   #6
Luvmi93
Registered Member

Oh, and FastFrank, I go to Englishtown alot too. I'm from South Jersey and there are only 2 tracks I can get to for an afternoon of racing Atco and Englishtown. I think I like Englishtown better.
Luvmi93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-1999, 10:24 AM   #7
jd50stang
Registered Member

I believe the idea of true street is that you can race anything that will make the 30 mile tour. Keep in mind that all theese cars maintain working street legal equipment and are registered and insured. The fact that a car that can run high 8's and still make a thirty mile drive is amazing. I think we should congradulate the men and women who build these cars instead of calling them too fast or accusing them of bending the rules. Remember ther is no such thing as "TOO FAST" in racing!!!
jd50stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-1999, 11:12 AM   #8
DanA
Registered Member

How many people out there wouldn't want to say they have a car that runs 8's and is street legal and actually drive it on the street on occasion. I've seen cars that run 11's that couldn't make the 30 mile drive. It's all about wanting to be #1. If your going to race and not want to be the fast guy then you shouldn't be racing. As far as the 8 second True Street Car of Keith's. I happen to know him and he has driven the car on the street locally on occasion. I've seen him sitting at a stop light in traffic. He and his crew are just talented enough to be able to do what many can't. Leave true street alone. if you can't run and be competative then find another class to run in.
DanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-1999, 01:47 PM   #9
George Klass
Registered Member

I also share some concerns regarding the potential 8-second cars but it must be remembered that the rules for this class were written by Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords editors, not by FFW. It may be of interest to all of you that their will be a small purse ($$$) this year in True Street and it will be split equally with the quickest car average and then the quickest 9 second average, 10 second average, 11 second average, 12 second average and possibly the quickest 13 second average. In this way, we are not just rewarding the quickest car. This is, after all, supposed to be fun, right?
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-1999, 08:51 AM   #10
Gearbanger
Registered Member

Yea, I agree its all about going faster. But... Running race-only fuel and trans-brakes, etc. etc. in a quote "True Street car is a little extreme. Throw some pump gas (93 octane) in those 8 sec cars and watch the motors explode under detonation. I've had this conversation with other racers on several occasions and emissions legality (in certain states) comes up as well. Is anything gonna change? No. As long as the rules stay the same, purpose built "True Street" vehicles will dominate not your daily "True Street" driver. I'll be driving my "True Street" car 250 miles to Atlanta to race and back home, if I don't break anything. Maybe if more "True Street" cars drive to the Atlanta event maybe I'll it would narrow the field down for me. HaHa! Teddy

------------------
Gearbanger says: If you can't find em, grind em.
Gearbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-1999, 04:07 PM   #11
JCSTANG
Registered Member

If you all remember, the first few years of true street were 50 mile cruises. NOT 30! I don't know why it was changed(I assume to save time), but there was no 8 sec cars then. It seems the only way to keep a class from getting out of hand is to keep the purse low. I'll admit I don't expect to win any true streets, I probaly won't be in top 25. I'm going to run it just for the fun of it. Racing to me is a hobby, not a second income. I'll be there just to have fun, and if I win one of the 13 or 12 sec prizes, so what I would have just as much fun if I didn't. I'd rather see 8 second cars in Pro 5.0 and Street Outlaw, where they belong. Bristol doesn't have emissions testing so be prepared for Off-road H-pipes and such. HAHA!

------------------

Old 04-06-1999, 03:31 AM   #12
PETER R
Registered Member

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM OPEN UP TRUE STREET TO ALL VEHICLES. NOT JUST STANGS. THERE COULD BE A LOT MORE VERIETY IN A CLASS THAT HAS GREAT POTENTIAL. ITS CALLED TRUE STREET, NOT TRUE STREET MUSTANG. ALSO PUMP GAS SHOULD BE A MUST. NITROUSP @AOL.COM
PETER R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-1999, 07:13 PM   #13
Street Heat Racing
Registered Member

I'm sure I'll start something here--but here goes. I happen to own one of the cars that seems to be causing the "problems". Don't get me wrong--the competition is getting very limited. You either drop $30,000 or you lose. I started out just like everyone else--slow. Then I built my car up over the years. I now have an 8 second "street car". My car is fully capable of driving, sitting in traffic, and passing a tailpipe test!!! How you ask? Easy, build the baddest all aluminum motor you can and then run alcohol. In the great state of Texas, alcohol is an alternative fuel that is exempt from the standard emissions testing. In fact, my car "blows" cleaner than most mild cars. Alcohol also burns very cool and clean. I have trouble getting my car over 180 degrees--without running the electric fans even. I promise one thing for sure--if the cars are restricted to mods that slow them to 11's today--they will tune, tune, tune and be 8's tomorrow. Unfortunately, he who has the most money wins--there are always loopholes etc. If you remember--a couple years ago low 9's was a guaranteed victory in Pro 5.0. You can't even get in the show with less than a low, low 8. Even if new classes are formed , the well funded will go very fast. Heads-up racing isn't for a budget--unless it's unlimited. In turn I now complain about the fact that I can't run in Outlaw due to the aluminum block. I'm relegated to Pro 5.0--I'm deadmeat. Will the rules change significantly to allow lower budget cars in or rule the mega dollar cars out---not a chance. Lets go out and beat up some chevys. They're still slow.

------------------

Street Heat Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-1999, 10:18 PM   #14
n20lx
Registered Member

Now that they finally have the Street Rengade Class, Fun Ford doesn't come to my track(US 41) anymore. But thats OK, World Ford is at RT66 this year. I really can't find a class that I will be competative in but I have more fun getting beat heads up of a pro tree knowing every one is running all out than getting beat by someone out braking me bracket racing. Has anyone been to a World Ford event & have an idea what some of the lesser N/A classes run? (Can't run the spray at an NHRA track no roll bar yet). My car should be ggod for 12.50's on motor after a winter head & intake swap.
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-1999, 06:01 PM   #15
Street Heat Racing
Registered Member

Hey n20LX, depending on your mods there are a couple classes.

1. Pure-Stock
'79 to present fox chassis, naturally aspirated 302 or 4.6, inline valve heads, 26X10.6" tires and 3100lbs or 3000 if AOD equipped. Pro tree--most street racers get trounced at the light even if they have a faster car.

2. Street-Stock
'79 to present fox chassis, naturally aspirated, 8.2 (302) deck height or 4.6 blocks, maximum of 360 cubic inches, inline valve heads, 28X10.6" max slicks, and 3000lbs. Pro tree.

3. Open-Comp Eliminator
Any Ford vehicle running 9.00 seconds or slower, no dragsters, altereds, roadsters, no full chassis cars. No electronics--you know cheater equipment. Pro tree. You make 3 qualifying passes--the best is your index. You can break out each round by no more than 2 tenths. Granted this is similar to regular brackets, but most people do actually run all out. With no electronics, it's not nearly as easy to guage how fast you're running.

These are the classes that don't necessarily require JATO boosters to win.

Good luck and see you there!!

------------------

Old 04-09-1999, 12:23 AM   #16
JCSTANG
Registered Member

What I don't understand is why spend 30,000 dollars on a car, when the purse isn't near that high. I couldn't justify spending that much on a class that pays so little. Maybe they should split true street into the 2 classes. 8-10 sec. cars and 11 second and slower cars. I remember that MM+FF started the true street class for the little guys that couldn't afford to compete in a all out heads up class. Don't misunderstand me, I really respect what you've done. I probaly would have picked a more rewarding class for that much effort.

------------------

Old 04-09-1999, 04:24 PM   #17
Dark Knight
Registered Member

why? hahaha..why go race a friends car for nothing? TO RACE...racing for the money isnt as much fun as racing because you enjoy it..
if I had 30k to put in a car... I'd do it in a heartbeat
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-1999, 04:24 PM   #18
Dark Knight
Registered Member

why? hahaha..why go race a friends car for nothing? TO RACE...racing for the money isnt as much fun as racing because you enjoy it..
if I had 30k to put in a car... I'd do it in a heartbeat

------------------
84 convt,'95 302, performer
3.55's, underdrives shorties
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-1999, 02:51 PM   #19
Street Heat Racing
Registered Member

I didn't intend on spending $30,000+ on my car. I just gradually built up to that point. Besides, if you're racing to get rich, you're wasting your time. The only people who will race and get rich are big time racers with sponsors who can blow $30,000 a run--i.e. John Force. Don't forget, True Street may not pay, but alot of the Super Street events do. Like $10,000 to the winner. Here in Dallas, you can go to the Outlaw type tracks and pull down $1,000 or more a week. Especially if you have small tires. Nobody expects a small tired car to run that fast. I do it for the notriety and bragging rights--not the cash. If I were doing it for the cash, I would street race. That's where the real "little guy" money is.

------------------

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: