MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Racer's Club House
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-1999, 09:19 PM   #1
sstuart1
Registered Member

Default True Street

How is it that a 90's mustang can have a 398 motor with a carb, like the recent True Street Winner at Ennis, TX, and still be street legal when it won't pass a state inspection? Also, most of them have hollowed out cat pipes, or off-road h-pipes which are illegal. Please explain this to me!

Scott
sstuart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-1999, 08:47 PM   #2
JCSTANG
Registered Member

Seems like someone ask this every month. 1) Emissions has nothing to do with streetability. 2) No where in the rules does it state that cars are required to have emissions equipment. 3) Do you know how expensive and time consuming it would be to test everyone in that class. 4) Not every town has emissions test and people can get by with off road equipment. No offense meant, but if FFW started requiring this, the class would die. It's not worth making a car emissions legal to compete in this class. And making people run high flow cats and trick emissions would raise cost and just complicate the class even more. I've seen many magazine articles dynoing high flow cats and they are only a few horsepower less than a off road pipe( less than 5 horses). So you still would win it. As far as carbs go and big motors, well 79 to 85s came with carbs and 95 cobra Rs have windsors. The idea of this class is for people with late model cars that are streetable (regardless of combination). As far as keeping it a 5.0, you could race trophy stock and be more competitive, even with emmissions.

------------------

http://www.inergy.com/jcstang
JCSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-1999, 05:35 AM   #3
sstuart1
Registered Member

How wrong you are! It clearly states that each vehicle must pass its state inspection. Only the large cities in Texas have the emission test, but in order for a vehicle to pass the regular inspection, all of the emission equipment must be in place and working.
Old 06-23-1999, 02:03 PM   #4
JCSTANG
Registered Member

No, how wrong you are. The rulebook says the car must be registered, nothing about inspection is in there. In tennessee, we only go to the court house and pick up new stickers for our plates. No inspection or emissions check. So it comes to this, if your state requires inspection, that's their own thing. Besides, why can't you just bolt on a off-road pipe a week or 2 before the race. If I where in your situation, I'd switch h-pipes and run a shorter belt (bypassing smog pump) before the race. If you really wanted to break the law, you could just gut the inside of the cats and air pump both. The inspection guy wouldn't know if no sniffer was performed. If you need the part # for the short belt, email me and i'll reply with the number. Personally I'd check into some highflow cats, so I wouldn't have to worry about swapping. Chances are If your still running smog equipment, then you still wouldn't win. I'd bet there would be some smog legal 9 sec. cars running. The best thing about true street thou is the lowest 11,12,13,14 averages win the same money as the overall winner, so why is it even a issue?

------------------

Old 06-23-1999, 02:53 PM   #5
sstuart1
Registered Member

Good point. My town doesn't have emission checks anyway, so I could have alot of fun here. Maybe a stroked 351 with a XX Mondo and aftercooler.........
Old 06-25-1999, 01:31 AM   #6
JCSTANG
Registered Member

Believe it or not, but you could pass emissions with that blower and a stroked windsor. The NOVI 2000 is 50 state legal. and the inspecter wouldn't know if you had a stroker. Something I happened to notice, when emissions are brought up, it's always someone from Texas. If your wanting to earn a few bucks, I'd build for trophy street, the payout is more, and doesn't take as much to win. I'll be tuning or detuning my car, and try to snag the quickest 12 or 13 second average.

------------------