View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 01:36 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default exhaust cross-overs??

Quote:
Originally posted by WADS56
The only way that the crossover could cause excessive presure in the crankcase is if the gasket did not seal around the port. This would allow exhaust gass to be pumped in your engne causing a positive pressure. This would be rare though.
What you said above, sounds like what happened to my motor. While I was having the oil blowing problem, I did both a compression test & a leak down test, and everything checked out a-ok. I even did each of those test twice just to make sure my oil problem wasn't being caused by "actual" blow-by (leaking ring, blown head gasket, etc.)

"The stock heads have the same crossovers as your performer heads. Performer heads carry a CARB# right? High performance/race heads and intakes will not have the EGR system."

I think you just nailed it right on the head. My heads do not have a CARB#. They are Edel. Performer RPM heads, part#6025, w/ 2.02/1.60 valves. So I beleive that these are considered performance/race heads, right?! So I guess that would make sense to block off the exhaust cross-over openings, correct?

Thanks for the info. Wade. I'm pretty sure I've figured out the problem. I just don't have time to finish putting my motor all back together until this weekend. I'll let you know how it runs after that. One more question though, if I'm going to block off the cross-overs...then should I still hook up the coolant lines to the EGR? The coolant lines have no effect on the EGR system, do they?

Thanks again-